• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone OS 3.0 is coming, preview on March 17th

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Interesting :)

We just got the announcement, iPhone OS 3.0 is coming. Set your clocks, mark your calendars. It's going down March 17th. Apparently, we'll get a sneak peak at the new OS, as well as a look at a brand new version of the SDK. Exciting stuff indeed, and we'll be there live at 10am PST (1pm EST) with the liveblog. Apple's calling this an "advance preview of what we're building," so we're not expecting anything ready to go as of the 17th, but hopefully this will allow developers to start building toward future functionality (hey, how about some push notifications?), and presumably users won't have too many months to wait after that for the real deal.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/03/12/iphone-os-3-0-is-coming-march-17th/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Does new iphone OS = new ipod touch OS too?

ie is the same OS used on both machines?

Reaction score
great

been waiting for this for a long time...

i wonder if OS 3.0 will go along with a new iPhone.

The touch has a different OS though very similar, your very likely to get OS 3.0 at the same time, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2015 15", Powerbook G4 17" 2004
Yay i can't wait for this

big updates are always exciting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Apple seems to throwing a lot of announcements out in close succession. I wonder why. Seems to me like you would want to spread the good news out.

Does new iphone OS = new ipod touch OS too?

ie is the same OS used on both machines?

Probably, but Touch users will have to pay for it. Sorry

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Like the article says, this will probably be an early build and thus, a usable form of v3 is likely a long way off. It will be months, my guess, before we get it in our hands.

OP
Eric559
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Like the article says, this will probably be an early build and thus, a usable form of v3 is likely a long way off. It will be months, my guess, before we get it in our hands.

Very true. I can't wait to see the new OS though. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 MDD 2003, 2gb ram, 20" Cinema Display
Sweet! I can't wait, even though I don't have an iPod Touch or iPhone, yet...

If they keep making these OS's at this speed, iPhone OSX will be out soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The iPhone already runs OS X

I hope they've streamlined the OS, I shouldn't have to wait several seconds for the SMS app to load.

Reaction score
I know this is unrealistic but I hope they bring multitasking. At least 2 tasks at a time. sigh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
^^ it'll have to come out eventually to compete with the Pre.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'd like to see subfolders on the desktop. Having to scroll through 8 pages is a bit of a PITA.

Reaction score
I'd like to see subfolders on the desktop. Having to scroll through 8 pages is a bit of a PITA.

That and multi tasking i think are the most vital updates they could make. Id also like a landscape key board for sms. If apple doesnt add it, theyll be missing easily the biggest demand of iphone users.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Id also like a landscape key board for sms. If apple doesnt add it, theyll be missing easily the biggest demand of iphone users.
I think copy and paste wins that one ;D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac | iPhone 4
Id also like a landscape key board for sms. If apple doesnt add it, theyll be missing easily the biggest demand of iphone users.

I'm with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
That and multi tasking i think are the most vital updates they could make. Id also like a landscape key board for sms. If apple doesnt add it, theyll be missing easily the biggest demand of iphone users.
i've been saying this since i got the iphone on day one...i keep hoping that this feature will be added in an update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC

Same here! I've been thinking about getting an iPhone through Rogers, since they're fairly affordable right now, and I just started working and miss having a smartphone.

I was using a friend's the other day and with the iPhone "vertical," the keys were too small for my huge hands, and I'm a 2-handed thumb texter... When using Safari and entering text via the landscape keyboard, it was much, MUCH easier.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same here! I've been thinking about getting an iPhone through Rogers, since they're fairly affordable right now, and I just started working and miss having a smartphone.

I was using a friend's the other day and with the iPhone "vertical," the keys were too small for my huge hands, and I'm a 2-handed thumb texter... When using Safari and entering text via the landscape keyboard, it was much, MUCH easier.
The phone isn't bad at $200 but the plans, IMHO, are ridiculous. Not a heavy cell phone user myself I could be way off but the plans listed here seem expensive to me.

Reaction score
im pretty sure i read on macworld that;

it has copy n paste
NO multitasking
landscape sms
mms

dont take this as 100% true, im pretty sure though

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.