Red vertical lines in cinema display

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 MDD 2003, 2gb ram, 20" Cinema Display
Hi,

I knew about this when I brought this computer, but these lines were not there. They have since then came back, and are starting to get annoying.

There is only one line, about 2 pixels thick, it was originally black, but has changed to purple, and now red. Sometimes it would show different colors in each row, but is normally the same.

I notice that now, if I put something black under the red, it will turn black (as expected).

This is on my 20" Cinema Display (plastic model), that I believe came with these MDD Powermacs.

I have tried my computer with another Powermac's screen (exactly the same), and the line is not there, so it is not my computer.

What can I do to stop this, or what are my options for repair? Any type of lifetime warranty on these?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It may be the Cinema display itself that is defective. Move the Cinema display with the problem to another machine. If the same color distortions occur, you'll know for sure it's the display that's at fault.

I don't know off hand what the normal warranty is on those displays, but it certainly is not for life. :( You may wind up purchasing another monitor.

Regards.

OP
JordantheNerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. I will try it in the other computer soon.

Thanks for your reply.

R3d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8 Ghz PowerPC G4 (Gigadesing Processor), 1.75GB SDRAM, Pioneer DVD, XFX Nvidia 6200 256mb
You have dead pixels... if it's under warranty take it back.

OP
JordantheNerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can dead pixels form in vertical lines down the screen?

And I do not think I have warranty on this, as this would have been the one that came with my computer, when it was made in 2003. I do not know if it were under warranty at the time, but that would have expired by now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you have the MDD Power Mac, pop in the Apple Hardware Test disc, version 2.0.1, and boot whilst holding down 'C'. The test includes screen and graphics so that should tell you what the problem is, but sounds like dead pixels and time for another screen.

OP
JordantheNerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may now have access to the other screen that I tried my computer on (and was fine), just there are slight issues (I haven't have a look yet), but the screen may be on its way out.

I'll take a look at it, and then do the old switch-er-ino trick.

OP
JordantheNerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Well, I switched the screens. So far, I have not had any issue with this one, it was described as a "wobbly image". I believe I saw it once, and it looked like a small flashing staticy image.

My screen has the line on the other Powermac (as expected), but I did not use it long enough to see if it had the "wobbly image". I am hoping that it is the graphics card of that Mac, as it would soon be replaced with an Aluminum iMac, so its screen and itself will not be needed.

Do you think that that is a graphics card issue, or is that something that happens to LCD screens? If so, does this mean that the screen is near time for replacement?

- Jordan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Jordan:

The same issue is present on the second machine you tried the display on. It's apparent the display itself is defective as there are more than likely an array of dead pixels or stuck pixels, perhaps both. The graphics card itself would not cause that type of defect but if the image on the screen is wobbly, that's another matter.

Regards.

OP
JordantheNerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know that my screen is faulty, I had established that weeks ago. All I want to know, is if these little "static flashes", or as my mum described as a "wobbly image", are the graphics card or the screen.

- Jordan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know that my screen is faulty, I had established that weeks ago. All I want to know, is if these little "static flashes", or as my mum described as a "wobbly image", are the graphics card or the screen.- Jordan

If the same symptom appears on both machines you've tested the display on, then it's probably not the graphics card.

Regards.

Reaction score
Its not dead pixels (dead pixels dont flicker or change colour...Thats why theyre dead).....This is a very widespread problem with Mac Displays and can happen to any without warning. A quick search of google will confirm this. The fact that Apple has known about it and has refused to address it even going so far s to shut down forum threads that raise the issue, is grounds for a class action.
If you want to fix the the vertical line issue, the answer is to never purchase Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 17" Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz 1gb 160gb back from the dead! :) , Ibook G4 14" 1.33ghz 1.25gb 120gb
could be the cord that connects to the display, they ussually cause some screen distortions, such as tint, hugh, lines and distortion

OP
JordantheNerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm, I will be able to test the other screen properly when they replace it with an iMac, but for now I still have the line.

I noticed once, the other screen seems to do its "fuzzy, static" stuff on the Mac OSX booting screen (the one after the grey), it seems to react to the white on there (running Tiger).

Also, the menu bar, the mouse, and some parts of the dock seems to do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.