NEC chipset PCI cards and Powermac G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 MDD 2003, 2gb ram, 20" Cinema Display
Hi.

I recently brought myself a ALI USB 2.0 PCI card. Didn't need drivers, worked, but had many issues with my external hard drive, and webcam.

As I recently upgraded to Leopard, I cannot use Time Machine with my external hard drive, because of these issues. I have been told the best thing to do, is buy another one, with the NEC chipset.

I have been looking for ones that are NEC, and work with Mac, and can be shipped to me in New Zealand. I have found a few NEC cards, but done say they will work on Mac.

So, if I buy one of these, that just mentions that it will work with Windows, will it work in my Mac.

I have heard, that OSX has the appropriate drivers, but I am not 100% sure.

Thanks,
Jordan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most PCI USB 2 cards should work OK with your Mac (assuming the machine has PCI slots available) and with a PC. I recently threw away a defective PCI ALI USB 2.0 card. It never did work correctly in my desktop PC. A card with the NEC chipset should be OK.

Regards.

OP
JordantheNerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, thank you for your reply. Do you think I will still be fine if it does not say that it will work in Mac. Like this card: DSE PCI Card USB 2.0 5 Port

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
PowerMac G4's are PowerPC models and they generally are not bootable from USB, even USB2, external hard drives. To use the external drive try to get a Firewire external case for your drive. Either FW400 or SW800 will work just fine.

OP
JordantheNerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I know Firewire is the best way to connect my devices. But I do not have the money to buy another drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay, thank you for your reply. Do you think I will still be fine if it does not say that it will work in Mac. Like this card: DSE PCI Card USB 2.0 5 Port

That card is probably as good as any. However, it might be better if you purchased the card from a local vendor rather than on line. Much easier to take the card back for a refund if it doesn't work.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes, I know Firewire is the best way to connect my devices. But I do not have the money to buy another drive.

Jordan any 3.5" IDE HDD will fit into an external case so you do not need another drive if you have a spare, just the Firewire external and they are pretty cheap from Hong Kong.

OP
JordantheNerd
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Today I went into DSE, and checked out the card. I noticed on the box, that it said it would support Mac. I also should be able to get a refund if it does not work.

It may be a while until I can buy it, as I currently have no money, and owe quite a bit of money, to buy this Powermac from a friend.

harryb2448, My external hard drive is an a Western Digital Elements, I don't think it would be good to transfer the hard drive into another enclosure, as I can't really get into it, and it would void my warranty, etc.

I will post here if I have any issues when I buy this card, or any further questions.

Thank you for your help,
Jordan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.