Why did Apple decide to go completely white?

I

iDVFH.

i'm probably posting this in the wrong area, but why did Apple choose white as it's main color. (Well it's main color for the consumer desktops and iBook) I mean they did a great job cause they make them beautifully but why didn't they go for like a black with a clear finish..that would look insanee

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
White Is Right

Cause white is hot. Clean, Simple, Perfect, Different. I think if it was not white it would be like everything else on the market. Not too interesting if it was black or grey like all the others

OP
S

sursuciofla

fyrman22 said:
Cause white is hot. Clean, Simple, Perfect, Different. I think if it was not white it would be like everything else on the market. Not too interesting if it was black or grey like all the others

Black polycarbonate casing with the the grey trimming like it has now would be insanely hot :radioacti . Then have that Apple logo beaming off that black. The white drowns it out unless the lights are really low. Man BLACK would be so great. I think giving more options for color rather than making us pay more for it would be very good. Man, got me started. RED,BLUE, have matching keyboard with your color choice, that's definately the dream. Until then I guess I'm stuck withthis boring white.

OP
I

iBlinded

sursuciofla said:
Black polycarbonate casing with the the grey trimming like it has now would be insanely hot :radioacti . Then have that Apple logo beaming off that black. The white drowns it out unless the lights are really low. Man BLACK would be so great. I think giving more options for color rather than making us pay more for it would be very good. Man, got me started. RED,BLUE, have matching keyboard with your color choice, that's definately the dream. Until then I guess I'm stuck withthis boring white.

Im glad its neither black nor any hippie colors! I definitely prefer the white look! It underlines the perfection, yet the simplicity...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Simple. Because IBM ThinkPads are black. :)

Seriously, black would be cool but I really dig the white-- even moreso than the silver of the PowerBook. I never would have bought one of the "Tupperware colors" iBooks of a few years ago-- I just didn't like the way they looked.

OP
I

iDVFH.

Yea but a dull black like all the other laptops out there now..the shape as a little odd too..but imagine black with the finish you have on your ibook..that would look nicee..but only in the U2 colors cause it would look weird to have a black case, grey insides, and a white glowing apple on the front

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

i think a nice pearl white or a very very very light greyish white would be nice

black no - boring!!!!

Reaction score
I like the white look but then I still like the look of my old imac 333mhz lime, still looks really cool and I think that their is a lot to be said for giving the costumer a choice of colours and if Apple wont do it then other companies will. Check this out : http://www.colorwarepc.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Before the first PowerBooks in 1991, all laptops were light grey/beige.

The original PowerBook 100-series was charcoal gray.

The ThinkPads were the first jet-black laptops.

PowerBooks were all dark colors until the first Titanium PowerBooks. I think Apple figured, after ten years, everyone was tired of dark colored laptops.

Maybe in 2011 we'll see soemthing different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i like the titanium powerbooks. but i like my ibook white better

OP
M

maverick2k

Only one feeling defines why white is the best. Go to the University library, dock your white ibook along with all other black machines and all heads turn around towards you. I have actually experienced it and it felt nice. That's why apple is different.

Black is a industrial colour. White signifies art, peace, harmony .......

Why do people buy Ferrari's and like em red........

OP
M

monkeybutler

DV'SiBOOKG4 said:
i'm probably posting this in the wrong area, but why did Apple choose white as it's main color. (Well it's main color for the consumer desktops and iBook) I mean they did a great job cause they make them beautifully but why didn't they go for like a black with a clear finish..that would look insanee

To establish identity. Just like how apple was associated with fruity colors during the imac phase, they are now identified with anything pure white.

Personally, i absolutely hate it. Ive wanted a mac for a few years but held back because of the white campaign. I just dont want to feel like a tool every time i pull out my ibook and be transformed from a guy in a coffee shop into a walking billboard for apple products.

But after waiting so long its clear apple wont release a male version of the ibook so i gave in and ordered one friday. Im excited to finally get a mac, but not nearly as excited as i'd be if i had a choice in color.

OP
M

Mr.Guvernment

maverick2k said:
Only one feeling defines why white is the best. Go to the University library, dock your white ibook along with all other black machines and all heads turn around towards you. I have actually experienced it and it felt nice. ..........

nice to know everyone is going to turn and laugh and think "man that guy got ripped off for what he has"

or

"mmmm, we know he has money lets jump him after class"

I am only joking :D

OP
M

monkeybutler

maverick2k said:
Only one feeling defines why white is the best. Go to the University library, dock your white ibook along with all other black machines and all heads turn around towards you. I have actually experienced it and it felt nice. That's why apple is different.

What kind of person finds that kind of attention from complete strangers to be a good thing?

Anyway, since im not a pop diva then i prefer to blend in when i go to a library to study or wait for a plane. One thing ive learned over the years is that the mac tends to attract people who are pretty desperate for attention. Mac nuts might love the walking into a room and everyone staring but i prefer to blend in when im out carrying a $1000+ device around the country.

OP
M

maverick2k

monkeybutler said:
What kind of person finds that kind of attention from complete strangers to be a good thing?

Anyway, since im not a pop diva then i prefer to blend in when i go to a library to study or wait for a plane. One thing ive learned over the years is that the mac tends to attract people who are pretty desperate for attention. Mac nuts might love the walking into a room and everyone staring but i prefer to blend in when im out carrying a $1000+ device around the country.

Guess I was misinterpreted..... Was just tryin to home in the point that white as a colour blends perfectly with the apple preamble "think different" and brand names associate themselves with some colour or the other to highlight their individuality......

Aren't we all tired of putting up with all those black gizmos coming up around us all the time.....There was this case with strange people changing the colour of their ipod earphones (cause they were white) just to blend in with the crowd...and don't we all put our laptops in carry cases while travelling.....I don't carry it in my arms.....neither do I use a transparent carry case....and pcs are not cheap either.....

The point was "why white" the answer probably is cause its different...agreed that the example was not well directed but the truth remains that we all buy a mac cause we like it and people associate with colours.........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
monkeybutler said:
But after waiting so long its clear apple wont release a male version of the ibook so i gave in and ordered one friday.

"Male version?"

Hmmm.

I've had one or two comments thrown my way about my choice of an iBook, but I can't see why a white computer would be considered feminine. I carried a ThinkPad for years and never thought of other computers as being more or less sissy than mine. :rolleyes:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.