Option key on startup doesn't work

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently I purchased a new wired keyboard from apple, and ever since, holding down the option key on startup doesn't present me with a window to select the startup disk. It simply boots right into Mac OS X. I have been able to change the default startup disk to boot into windows, however this is quite bothersome to do every time.

Any help appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming you purchased a new wired aluminum keyboard. Make sure you have the latest firmware and software updates for the keyboard installed. Link

Also, the aluminum wired keyboard requires OS X 10.4.1 or later in order to function correctly.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
I am indeed running the latest firmware updates. Just to make sure, I re-downloaded it and tried installing, but got a notice that I am running the latest firmware.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well then, the problem is not with the keyboard. Need to look elsewhere.

When you open System Preferences, Startup Disk, do you have both OS X and Windows as a choice? Also, is your Windows volume mounted on your desktop?

In the meantime, as a work around you can download and install the free "BootPicker" which when used will give you a startup choice of OS X or Windows. Link

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Nothing is selected in the startup disk pane. Windows volume is mounted.

I'll check out BootPicker. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but I looked up BootPicker and it requires all this stuff I don't have- Mac OS X server, for one. It seems a little too complicated for me. Any one else have an idea what could be wrong?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry for the double post, but I looked up BootPicker and it requires all this stuff I don't have- Mac OS X server, for one. It seems a little too complicated for me. Any one else have an idea what could be wrong?

Are you sure you went to the right BootPicker? See this Link.

I have BootPicker and I can assure you it doesn't require OS X server. You can see from my sig line what my equipment is. BootPicker works fine here.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.