sound disappearing at lower parts of the movie (os x 10.5)

Reaction score
Hi.

First of all, i've tried googling this, i've tried searching this forum and apple support for it but it seems i'm the only person who has this problem that i can find. or at least, the only person who is annoyed enough by it to ask for help. so, heres my problem.

when i'm watching a movie ( in Quicktime Pro 7.6, with the perian addon) whenever there's a low-volume part (with this i mean there's not much sound, but there is some. like low-key music) my mac decides to go completely quiet. Its either 4 or 5 seconds of sound below a certain volume, and it goes completely quiet until a louder sound pops up. i counter this by clicking the volume up/down buttons, apparently those noises are sufficient to knock it out of its utter silence, for another 4 or 5 seconds or until the movie itself starts making louder noise. so i guess its not quicktime thats the problem.

anyways, i cant find any settings that do this, and i'm at a point where i'm tired of having to click buttons to make loud noises in the middle of a movie just because there's nothing loud happening on the screen. (which does a really good job at ruining the immersion)

anyone know what this could be, or how i fix it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.