My computer is stuck at start up

CAH

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a new member. :)
Anyway, I just (about an hour ago) turned on my eMac and it is still in the loading process. It shows the bar about 3/4 way done and says, waiting for local disks.
What can this mean? I'm hoping this isn't bad.
CAH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day CAH and welcome to the forum.

Pop in your Jaguar install CD, reboot and hold down 'C' and if all goes well, go to Utilities>Repair Disk and see what is reported.

OP
C

CAH

Reaction score
Thanks harry,
I will try this tomorrow and get back with you. I read online (after I had already posted) that this issue could be from a wired source to the computer (or something like that) so I unplugged my external harddrive and it booted up. But I'm still nervous the harddrive may go. It is a dinosaur after all. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Suggest you do not leave the external HDD plugged in during boot up and shut down as you may be getting confusion over the startup disc. Connect external when your eMac is up and running and it will appear on the desktop, and when you are finished, drag the icon to the trash. When the icon vanishes it is okay to disconnect.

OP
C

CAH

Reaction score
Looks like I have yet another issue

I have done the reboot with the Hardware CD and ran the tests. Everything checked out great.
When doing the Disc Repair through Utilities, I encountered a Script Error. I was unable to complete the process and had to force quit.
I'm going to do a search to see if I can find how to fix a script error. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would love it.
Thanks Harry too for the information on removing my external HD. I have to say that I have not unplugged it and I have not drug it to the trash. I know that is bad too. But I will now do this.
CAH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CAH did you run the Repair Disc whilst booted from the install CD? It is not possible to repair a drive you are booted from.

Here is an absolutely great link for Jaguar users:-

OS X 10.2 Jaguar Troubleshooting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.