9650 SCSI drive to g4 ATA drive

Reaction score
I have a 9650 that is just about to take its last breath. I've found a g4 dual 1.25 that can take its place, but my dilemma is that I don't have all of the key disks for the apps. The 9650 boots on a SCSI drive and the g4 boots on an ATA drive. Is there a way to migrate from the old drive to the new without losing authorizations? Or can the g4 boot from a SCSI drive?

To answer the question that will first come to mind...because of the hardware that I'm using, I have to stay in OS9. (Otherwise, I'd love to go to OSX.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
but my dilemma is that I don't have all of the key disks for the apps.

Gee...I bet if you legally purchased the software in the first place you would have the disks!!!

OP
M
Reaction score
Actually, all of the apps were legally purchased (it was used in a professional studio). It bought the system from the original owner and he couldn't find the install disks for all of the apps. I was hoping that it wouldn't be an issue...but of course even macs don't live forever.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, all of the apps were legally purchased (it was used in a professional studio). It bought the system from the original owner and he couldn't find the install disks for all of the apps. I was hoping that it wouldn't be an issue...but of course even macs don't live forever.

I'm guessing the original owner either couldn't or didn't "want" to find the original disks...since then he/she wouldn't be able to reinstall the software.

Appreciate the time you've been able to use the software without purchasing it...kind of like an extended "demo". If you really like or need the software, it's a good time to purchase the OS X version's.

OP
M
Reaction score
wish I could go OSX, but my hardware configuration will only work in OS9. It is prohibitively expensive to retool to OSX ($15k). And all of the apps were purchased legally.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wish I could go OSX, but my hardware configuration will only work in OS9. It is prohibitively expensive to retool to OSX ($15k). And all of the apps were purchased legally.

I'm not sure what sort of hardware you have...but are you positive that OS X versions of the software you use won't work with your hardware?

Back when OS X was first introduced (2001), many many software & hardware companies released "conversion or installer" programs that allowed an OS 9 program to run in OS 10. Also many hardware companies released OS X drivers for hardware.

Of course this was 8+ years ago...and many of these "options" may no longer be available via manufacturer websites.

OS 9 basically started a long slow death in 2001. Apple stopped supporting OS 9 via hardware in 2006.

Maybe it's finally time to "ween" yourself off of OS 9! ;D

Just curious...what software programs are you having problems with, and what sort of hardware are you using that won't work with OS X?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm using Digidesign ProTools Mix Plus3 system with 4 SampleCell cards. When OSX was released, Digi completely abandoned the OS9 hardware systems (for obvious reasons). So, no - the system won't run on OSX. There are plenty of software samplers out there now, but they are all host-based processing. Even though my system is ridiculously obsolete, because it's hardware based processing it works suprisingly well (until now, that is). There are some great new sample libraries out now, but to run a session of any significance, you need to be on an 8 core mac with maxed out ram (thus the expensive buy-in).

Hope that explains my situation better.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm using Digidesign ProTools Mix Plus3 system with 4 SampleCell cards.

Yeah...sounds like you're using some fairly uncommon hardware & software.

Since you have 4 SampleCell cards, you obviously need a computer with with 4 PCI expansion slots. Also, I know that your original question revolved around SCSI & ATA hard drive compatibility.

Here's 5 suggestions I can think of:

1. You could purchase another used 9650 or 9600 Macintosh computer (I bet you could find one on E-Bay cheap). I did an e-Bay search, and there are 2 Macintosh 9600's for sale currently.

2. Depending on what's wrong with your 9650, you could fix it. Usually it's something fairly easy to fix/replace like the power supply. Unless you spilled a cup of coffee on it, and shorted everything out! ;D

3. You could purchase any other older Macintosh computer that runs OS 9, has 4 PCI slots, and uses SCSI hard drives.

4. You could install your SCSI hard drive into an external hard drive housing...that converts from SCSI (internally) from SCSI to USB.

5. I did a Google search for "SCSI ATA conversion" and came up with the link below. You could check out these products to see if they will work with the G4 computer your considering. You could do further search's as well.

SCSI to IDE/SATA/USB/FW Adapters - PC PitStop

I hope that this helps,

- Nick

p.s. By the way I wanted to add...it sounds like your "main issue" is the inability to reinstall the software that's on your SCSI drive because you do not have the original disks. I hope you do understand that ALL hard drives eventually fail!!!

When your SCSI hard drive finally "craps-out"...you're really going to be in a boat-load of trouble!!! Because you will no longer be able use your software!

So it might be a good idea to be continuously searching for a set of original disks for the software.

OP
M
Reaction score
I use an external expansion chassis for all of the cards, so that's not a critical factor. The 9650 has a third party g4 processor card which is the culprit. It immediately starts overheating on startup. I also use two separate macs to run my system (one for midi sequencing and one for audio recording) and I'd like to consolidate both machines onto one machine (the MDD g4 is the fastest, latest mac that will boot OS9)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use an external expansion chassis for all of the cards, so that's not a critical factor. The 9650 has a third party g4 processor card which is the culprit. It immediately starts overheating on startup. I also use two separate macs to run my system (one for midi sequencing and one for audio recording) and I'd like to consolidate both machines onto one machine (the MDD g4 is the fastest, latest mac that will boot OS9)

So basically...your 9650 is running fine...it's just the G4 card that's going bad.

You could try to find a replacement G4 card.

Yes...good choice on the 1.25 G4...since it's the fastest OS 9 bootable Mac.

I edited my above posting to include an option to install your SCSI hard drive in an external case that converts from SCSI to USB.

But in the end...you're still going to be faced with the potential problem of that SCSI hard drive eventually failing...making the software unusable.

Good luck,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for your help, nick

I've been messing around with Mac's since the mid-1980's...and I have run into the sort of compatibility problem you are many times. There's usually a solution, you just have to "dig" pretty hard for it.

Maybe some other folks will read & comment on this thread...and provide some additional ideas or comments.

As far as the software...without the original disks...sometimes you have to be "creative" in this area as well! ;D

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.