Unprotected Wireless Networks?

V

Verrminator

i'm new to the wireless thing. i am getting an iBook and have a few questions.

1)if you find an open network is it illegal to use it? not for hacking, just everyday use.

2)can't they see what your doing if they run a sniffer?

OP
M

meltbanana314

1. nope

2. yep, if they use a network intrusion system like Ethereal, they can track everything you do. Most people who leave unsecured wireless networks aren't savvy enough to run an NIS, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Well, I wouldn't say it's legal...that's very questionable at this point and hasn't really been tested in court and may depend on local jurisdiction.

Regardless of legal or not, unless they're giving it away for free, it's not necessarily morally right to do ;)

But don't just assume it's legal...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
schweb said:
Regardless of legal or not, unless they're giving it away for free, it's not necessarily morally right to do ;)

I agree. I have neighbors with a wireless network, and they don't appear to be aware that their signal is available in my house, or that they should probably encrypt / password-protect it. I could very easily join the network with my iBook and utilize their internet connection, but I would never do that.

It's obvious that they aren't intending to share their network with anyone, and I would effectively be "stealing" the bandwidth that they themselves are paying for. I really don't see that as being different from any other form of theft. Some might use the argument that, "They didn't protect the network, so it's okay for me to use it", but I don't feel that's a valid point. If it were, the same people arguing it would then have to agree that it would be okay for a thief to steal from their house just because they left the door unlocked while they were away. In either situation, the owner may have used poor judgment or been naive, but that shouldn't be considered justification for theft.

Reaction score
Are there any antennas anyone would recommend to boost my signal?

I have a macbook pro.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
schweb said:
Well, I wouldn't say it's legal...that's very questionable at this point and hasn't really been tested in court and may depend on local jurisdiction.

Agreed. I have wireless at my house but I encrypt my signal. If I didn't know how to (like most regular households) I would be upset if i found someone using my signal. Legal wise I think its a grey area, but like Schweb said its not necessarily morally right to do so. If someone had a swing set in there yard would you help yourself to it? I would hope not. I think the same applies for wireless access.

I read an article on this about a month ago and I was surprised to learn that a good portion of the people say that as long as they aren't doing anything harmful or illegal its ok to use peoples wireless internet access. They even interviewed an old lady that was leeching off her neighboors wireless signal and when asked what she would do if they caught here she would play the old card. "Oh i'm an old lady, i dont know how these things work." When the old people start becoming manipulative, we are in trouble.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
In the UK we have the 'Computer Misuse Act' which supposedly covers this. The specifics state that it is an offence to gain unauthorised access to any computer system. The problem, I guess, would be proving that a) the person accessed the system, and b) that they were not authorised (i.e. the lack of any technical measures to prevent unauthorised access do not necessarily mean that access is open to all).

So, burden of proof aside, it is illegal to use open wireless networks that are not specifically intended for public use in the UK.

Reaction score
alucard said:
I read an article on this about a month ago and I was surprised to learn that a good portion of the people say that as long as they aren't doing anything harmful or illegal its ok to use peoples wireless internet access.

A lot of people still think downloading music without paying is ok too. If the majority actually ruled, we'd still have slaves and be subjects of the British Crown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Thats why i said i was surprised that a good portion said it was ok. To me it's stealing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Yes, using someone elses unprotected wireless signal is Stealing, and illegal. You can get huge lawsuits if you do this. and someone catches you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Padawan said:
It's obvious that they aren't intending to share their network with anyone, and I would effectively be "stealing" the bandwidth that they themselves are paying for. I really don't see that as being different from any other form of theft. Some might use the argument that, "They didn't protect the network, so it's okay for me to use it", but I don't feel that's a valid point. If it were, the same people arguing it would then have to agree that it would be okay for a thief to steal from their house just because they left the door unlocked while they were away. In either situation, the owner may have used poor judgment or been naive, but that shouldn't be considered justification for theft.

A better argument would be: They left their groceries in my kitchen (or garage or Yard etc), so it it illegal, or immoral, for me to eat their food? Entering a residence or vehicle that is not your own without the consent of the owner or a court, regardless of it being locked or not, is a crime. However in this case, you don't need to leave you own home or enter/break into anything.

The real argument here is centers around the fact that you don't need to leave your own home or in some cases do anything illegal to be caught in the quandary. Is the burden of responsibility on the user or the owner of the wireless signal? More and More ISPs (mine included) are placing the legal burden on the owner (subscriber) to ensure that a network is locked down. While legal precedence has been set in regards to continued abuse of personal or business networks, all of the cases consisted of individuals who were "war-driving", the most recent involving a Starbucks I believe. None, that I am aware of, have involved a person sitting in their own home.

Both the legality and morality of this subject are open for debate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.