ibook vs. power book::

G

gabriel

I'm a graphic designer and I use a 17" iMac w/ 512 ram. I'm very happy with it, although a memory upgrade would be nice for bigger projects.
I'm planning on getting a laptop (12"), a friend of mine was going to buy a power book but was advised that an ibook would suffice for his needs in 'small' audio recording projects. So that's what he did. He heard that in some cases the ibook performed better. Well what about running Photoshop and things of that sort? The male perspective would say, "Bigger is better.", but is bigger really necessary?
thanx,
-g'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I would say yes.. and I would get a 15" if I was you.. as you know graphics need to be done on as large as you can get monitor! :).. the 12 is just too small for me, but the 15 is great.. and the 17 is just too big to carry around with you.

The powerbook has the G4 processor which does do photoshop faster than the G3 does.. plus most other tasks. If you are a power user then get the G4..

OP
G

gabriel

I didn't think I'd like the 12" but I went to the Mac store here in Dallas and played with it and designed a quick logo while I was standing there and was quite pleased with it, even the size!
I'll still be doing most of the design work on my iMac so that's not a big issue. I agree, the 17" is bearly portable. I've also heard that the speed differance between the two (ibook/pwr book) can be messured by the blink of an eye. How true is that? Up-gradeablity, dosen't the power book have the capacity of up to a gig of ram? I know the ibook is somwhere around 600.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I have a gig in my powerbook. I don't know a lot about the iBook, but I do know that I was using my friends for awhile.. and I was really happy to get back to my powerbook :)

OP
S

StealthMode

I just got a 15in PowerBook and I must say I love it! I do alot of graphics, and it is dam nice. Speed is alot better than I thought it would be.

Stealth -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
i think with photoshop you will be happier using a G4.

OP
G

gabriel

The friend of mine who just got the ibook is sending it back to get the power book. It wasn't fast enough in running Reason. I was just reading in a Mac World mag and it had a 'real world' test of different macs and the 12" ibook was almost a full minuet slower than the 12" power book in processing a particular psd. File. That’s enough for me. I spend a good 70% of my design time in Photoshop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah same here.. I need the extra power that the G4 gives.

OP
E

Egon

gabriel said:
I'm a graphic designer and I use a 17" iMac w/ 512 ram. I'm very happy with it, although a memory upgrade would be nice for bigger projects.
I'm planning on getting a laptop (12"), [snip] Well what about running Photoshop and things of that sort? The male perspective would say, "Bigger is better.", but is bigger really necessary?
thanx,
-g'

I have never seen a Graphic Arts department run on 12" monitors. The more area you can afford, the better. If you can afford the uber-wide screen varient, get it.

The TiBooks have all their cables running out the back, so there is less of a chance of damaging something. Not to mention the power of the hardware. When it comes to Graphic arts, bigger IS better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually they used to, but one of my clients just got one of the new ones.. wait ok you said TiBook.. which the new ones are aluminum and not considered TiBooks anymore.. so maybe you were just talking about the old ones.

But for clarity the new PowerBook G4's have the wires on the sides and.. well.. my client is not very happy about it.. not sure I would be either.

Just wanted to let you know :) And yeah Graphic Design.. bigger the better :)

OP
S

Sithlord

Hey,
i've a 12" pb, im no exactly a designer...
however, some times i'ver done design stuff... and let me tell ya
i love my mac.. but i think is kinda small (i mean desk size) somtimes i'd like to have more space in my desk

you won't have any performance trouble i can garantee you that...
but if you're really thinnking in big designs.. you should consider a bigger size...

OP
M

mimmyhonker

Bigger IS Better

Why would anyone NOT want the most for your money? I have never understood the philosophy of "I'll just settle for barely what I may need," instead of "what I can get." If you want average performace, get an iBook. If you want to do more faster, get a PowerBook. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.