Photoshop

B

bsatchmo

Is there a way to get Photoshop for less then the 600$ price they have it for, I have the windows version but I can't get it on my Powerbook and I don't wanna dish out even more money for a new copy of it. Any suggestions?

OP
B

Buzz_Novia

I suppose you could opt for PhotoShop Elements. I think it was recently updated to version 3?

OP
B

bsatchmo

im going to try it out see if its decent and if i like it it may be a cheap way to hold off till i get a job so i can buy CS

OP
B

Buzz_Novia

It might also be an idea to check out GraphicConverter. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can also do some simple editing stuff with it.

Reaction score
There's always Gimp. It's free, runs on X11, very similar to Photoshop.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
bsatchmo said:
Is there a way to get Photoshop for less then the 600$ price they have it for, I have the windows version but I can't get it on my Powerbook and I don't wanna dish out even more money for a new copy of it. Any suggestions?

If you have the full version it should have both the PC and Mac versions on the disk, unless of course you actually mean "any" instead of "more". ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Buzz_Novia said:
I suppose you could opt for PhotoShop Elements. I think it was recently updated to version 3?

Elements 2 was PC & Mac (I know that as I have a copy) but from the ads' it appears the newer versions are either/or. Strangely the Mac version is advertised at about a tenner less than the PC version.

One of the PC magazines has a free copy of version 3 on it this month so they must be up to version 4 by now.

Amen-Moses

OP
S

SogniX

Amen-Moses said:
If you have the full version it should have both the PC and Mac versions on the disk, unless of course you actually mean "any" instead of "more". ;)

Amen-Moses

Since when?
I have an entire adobe suite which includes Photoshop 7 for Mac... No Windows version on the CDs anywhere.

And I have an Acrobat CD for Windows - no Mac version.

Am I missing something? Do the new CS versions have both versions Mac and Windows versions on the same CD??? (two for the price of one???)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sogni said:
Since when?
I have an entire adobe suite which includes Photoshop 7 for Mac... No Windows version on the CDs anywhere.

And I have an Acrobat CD for Windows - no Mac version.

Am I missing something? Do the new CS versions have both versions Mac and Windows versions on the same CD??? (two for the price of one???)

I only have one CD for Elements and it has both versions on. Maybe this is a Europe thing, i.e maybe they sell them together here for some reason but sell them separately in the US?

Either that or maybe it's the difference with the suite as opposed to the stand alone version of Photoshop but down in my local PC World there is only one Photoshop Box on the shelf and it says PC or Mac so I always assumed it had both versions in the box.

Was your suite bundled with a machine or bought retail?

Amen-Moses

OP
S

SogniX

Amen-Moses said:
I only have one CD for Elements and it has both versions on. Maybe this is a Europe thing, i.e maybe they sell them together here for some reason but sell them separately in the US?

Either that or maybe it's the difference with the suite as opposed to the stand alone version of Photoshop but down in my local PC World there is only one Photoshop Box on the shelf and it says PC or Mac so I always assumed it had both versions in the box.

Was your suite bundled with a machine or bought retail?

Amen-Moses

I think I jave seen Elements come as PC and Mac in one box...

But I've never seen Photoshop and others.
Mine was not a bundle.
I also have two Acrobat boxes, one specifically says "Macintosh" and the other says "Windows".

Also all Photoshop boxes I've seen in local stores are either Windows or Mac. Not both.

Such as this one at CompUSA. Under Platform and Requirements - all it says is PC/Windows. Not Mac.

I WISH they would have both versions in one box!

OP
V

vtupser

Become friends with a student in college or K-12. They get education discounts and can get the whole Creative Suite for about $300-$400

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Photoshop Elements 3 (just released in Oct/Nov '04 so no new version soon) comes either in Mac or Windows not both. While the case doesn't specify which version it is, if you look at the install CD itself, it will clearly say Macintosh or Windows.

Photoshop CS (8.0) - This is a little tricky, I have the Macintosh only version that I bought from school for $499 USD and has only the Mac version on it. My brother bought CS from Adobe directly (~$399 upgrade) and his has both versions on the same disc but it will not let you install both versions. He installed the Windows version and then tried to install the Mac version on my parents eMac and it was like the Mac version wasn't even there anymore even though you could see when searching the disc.

I think your best bet is to call Adobe and if you purchased a prior version (Mac or Windows) they should let you upgrade for less than what the new version would cost.

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
rberry88 said:
Photoshop Elements 3 (just released in Oct/Nov '04 so no new version soon) comes either in Mac or Windows not both. While the case doesn't specify which version it is, if you look at the install CD itself, it will clearly say Macintosh or Windows.

Photoshop CS (8.0) - This is a little tricky, I have the Macintosh only version that I bought from school for $499 USD and has only the Mac version on it. My brother bought CS from Adobe directly (~$399 upgrade) and his has both versions on the same disc but it will not let you install both versions. He installed the Windows version and then tried to install the Mac version on my parents eMac and it was like the Mac version wasn't even there anymore even though you could see when searching the disc.

I think your best bet is to call Adobe and if you purchased a prior version (Mac or Windows) they should let you upgrade for less than what the new version would cost.

Just my 2 cents.

Did you brother try to install with serial from his Wndows install? Adobe products call home

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
deus_ex_machina said:
Did you brother try to install with serial from his Wndows install? Adobe products call home

It wouldn't even let him get to the installation, it was like the Mac version was missing from the CD after the Windows version was installed. We tried just pulling the program off the CD and into the Applications folder to see if it would start up and then ask for a serial number but it kept complaining about original files missing so we just gave up and bought our parents Photoshop Elements 3, which I guess was for the best.

OP
E

Ey3 D

Or you could just move to Chicago, take a class at the Art Institute that uses computers and get the whole Suite for 200$!!! :)

OP
X

xthisisRomancex

in refernce to the above post... PLEASE edit that out that is illegal and prohibited from the mac-forums.com boards the mods will close the thread and then this man might not recived a correct answer to his question

OP
S

speedydave

Do you have to have PS already installed on the machine in order to upgrade to a newer version of PS? If not, the upgrade versions of PS are $150. Also, if you're a college student, you can get the full, new PS CS2 for $300 (or the entire Creative Suite for $400!).

OP
K

Kokopelli

ifspring said:
[post deleted]

So instead you post something else that is illegal? [snip] is legal, though borderline. It is not legal to purchase a copy unless you already own the software though.

OP
E

Ey3 D

Sorry about the illegal thing! My friends have gotten Photoshop illegally so I dunno. But just try to go on sites and getting discounts. The discounts for students are really amazing (200 bucks for the whole Suite!) so if you can get an offer like that, then definitely go with it. That is how I got my PS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.