Hard Drive Replace

Reaction score
Hi all.

Please excuse my ignorance but I would be really grateful of some of you could help me. I have an iBook G4 1Ghz (early 2004). About a month ago it started booting up to the question mark/folder screen, however when I held 'C' and booted into the OS X startup disk the hard drive was recognised but unable to be repaired. After a few days I had thought it may have been a logic board issue and I discovered the 'C-clamp'. I pressed down on the left side of the track pad. It clicked a few times then started up - the computer worked for a month after that!

The thing is I'm back to the question mark/folder screen when I boot up. Was it a fluke that the computer started the last time when I put pressure on the left of the trackpad? Does this sound like a dead hard drive rather than a logic board issue?

Also, am I right in saying that any 2.5" PATA Hard drive would fit this computer?

Would either of these drives fit?
OEM 2.5in IDE Hard Drives > Maplin
Products Description

Thank you in advanced, please help :) :) :Smirk: :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMAC G5 2.0 GHZ
What you describe is the classic GPU solder failure on your logic board. I had the exact same problem. There's a do it yourself fix that entails placing a shim between the GPU and heat shield. It replicates the c clamp fix albeit internally. It works...somewhat. Give it a shot, people have reported varying degrees of success. It worked for my iBook.

As for the hard drive, any 2.5" PATA drive should work. I just installed a new WD 160GB in my iBook which incidentally is same as the one you have. I didn't look for specific drive, I just shopped around for the best deal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.