iDVD and Media Size

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Hi all, first post. So far, I've found answers to all my questions through searching the forums, but I cannot locate one for this, so here goes:

I have an file that was created on a PC desktop out of a bundle of individual clips from a DV camera and would like to burn as a video DVD. Trouble is, the overall file is 1.3 gig, and is too big to fit on a single-sided DVD at any of iDVD's settings. I currently do not have any dual-layers, and as this is a test to see how well an iDVD movie turns out, I'd rather not use a dual-layer with this particular project. The resulting DVD size according to iDVD is 4.88 gig, just a little too big.

I tried to load it into iMovie to see if I could shrink down the original file, but it doesn't seem to like the file at all, and simply doesn't load it.

I've used TMPGEnc DVD Author on my desktop PC for quite a while now, and it has an option to shrink the overall project down to fit a given DVD format. This does cause degradation in the resulting movie, but if you minimize it, it's not really noticeable.

I'd like to do this with my test DVD, but cannot find a setting that will let me do so. Does one exist at all? If so, where? I'd really like to see this completed, without having to use a dual-layer if I can get away with it.

:Cool: Eric the Grey

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.