The paint/finish is coming off my 15" 2.5g MacBook Pro, am I alone?

Reaction score
I bought my MacBook Pro in August of '08, and after roughly 4 months or so, a portion of the paint or finish, I assume paint?, and have just been too busy, among other issues, that I haven't looked into if it is a normal problem, or if it's covered by Applecare (mine is still valid), or what? I will probably try to get to an Apple Store tomorrow and find out that way, but figured I would at least try online first, and in case I don't get to go.

Its flaking and spotty along the bottom edge of the case, above the drive slot. At the edge the silver finish is entirely gone, and it fades up into big chunks gone, to flakes, to little spots, to the original finish.

Picasa Web Albums - huhkkjlk - MBP

Anyone else have this problem?

EDIT: A separate issue, does anyone also have problems with the multi-touch crapping out. occasionally, (not quite often enough to be annoying, but getting there) the trackpad just stops working. Or it won't recognize how many fingers I have on it. Oh, also, does anyone's screen not turn on sometimes? I have to close it and open it again before it turns on. Geez, I didn't realize how many issues I was having with it, I'm definitely taking it to the Apple Store tomorrow.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
yer picture's not working, but i've had mine 18 months and have nothing like this happening..

OP
M
Reaction score
yer picture's not working, but i've had mine 18 months and have nothing like this happening..

Fixed the pic, I think. And I shouldn't say large portion, just a portion. I suppose I'm just not terribly happy about spending that kind of money only to have some issues, though small.

EDIT: I totally forgot, the latch button does not have any finish on it at all anymore. Always forget about that one until I use it. ;-) I'll try to get a pic of that too.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've never seen this before on a MacBook Pro. Mine gets used heavily and I don't have any kind of discoloration. To be honest, I wasn't under the impression that there is a painted finish on these parts at all.

Do you use any kind of hand lotion or perhaps work with any kind of corrosive chemicals that you might carry on your hands?

OP
M
Reaction score
I've never seen this before on a MacBook Pro. Mine gets used heavily and I don't have any kind of discoloration. To be honest, I wasn't under the impression that there is a painted finish on these parts at all.

Do you use any kind of hand lotion or perhaps work with any kind of corrosive chemicals that you might carry on your hands?

I assume my pictures are showing up now.

No, I don't use any lotions, or work with any type of chemicals or anything. I'm a part time student and work outside of the house, not even using my computer. I would average my use since I bought it at about 2.5-3 hours a day. There were days I used it upwards of 5 or 6, and other days maybe an hour, so I'm just ballparking it.

I also don't wear a watch or any jewelry.

Reaction score
I have the same problem, it started showing up on my Macbook Pro about a year after I got it. I just attributed it to heavy use, as the areas that are showing wear are the same places my hands and wrists usually rest while typing.

Also, it's the anodization that's wearing off (not paint).

Reaction score
You know, the white MacBooks have a habit of chipping, and apple replaces the parts. You should bring it in - I know you said you were planning on it. I'm interested to hear what they have to say about this.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You know, the white MacBooks have a habit of chipping, and apple replaces the parts. You should bring it in - I know you said you were planning on it. I'm interested to hear what they have to say about this.

Agreed. I can't imagine they would attribute that to normal wear and tear. I've seen 5 year old 15" Aluminum PowerBook G4s that don't have that kind of wear in the same spot.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I'm headed to the Apple Store in a few minutes and I'll let everyone know how goes it. I hope well. Thanks again. Wish me luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I've never seen this before on a MacBook Pro.
I've seen 5 year old 15" Aluminum PowerBook G4s that don't have that kind of wear in the same spot.
While it isn't common, it does happen.
However, it's not a defect of the machine or a result of "cheap" materials used in the machine's production.

The reason this happens and why the result differs greatly in each case, is dependent on different people's personal body chemistry.
While it is extremely rare, some people's natural skin oils are slightly more corrosive than others, causing the finish to chip, peel or scratch off.

Here are a few threads from the past where it has happened to others.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/57554-paint-flaking-off-release-button.html

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/46647-scuffed-up-mbp-any-suggestions.html

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/48142-anyone-elses.html

Reaction score
i have the same issues as you.
perhaps its just our model? im not to sure. i bought it around the same time as you did and i have those blotty parts a and the release button is all chipped!

i spent 2300 on this laptop and have been taking care of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz
the only problem is overuseage

The only problem i can see here is overuse. The friction from your hands is causing the anodization to wear off, and obviously the painted latch button is having the same problem. Eventually things wear out. I just bought a powerbook G4, and this is beginning to happen in the same places as your MacBook Pro. I would be very surprised if apple did anything about it, but maybe i could be wrong.

~Justin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.