shared file or network disk

Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry if this is too easy of a problem... I want to read/write a couple of spreadsheets from either my desktop or laptop mac's (both OSX 10.5.6). Sounds easy but I am stuck.

First try: shared files on desktop imac public folder - this works but now if the desktop mac is not running or asleep, I can't access it from my macbook.

Second try: Put the files on a networked disk connected to Airport Extreme n - Works great but now TimeMachine doesn't back it up. It only takes care of the mac's. These files are critical and if the network disk fails I'm out of luck.

My hardware is a macbook, imac, Airport Extreme n, two USB connected drives hooked to the airport base station. The larger one is used with TimeMachine to backup my imac. The second USB drive I added to facilitate sharing files between the machines.

I want either computer to be able to edit these files but I want them stored in two places in case of a disk failure. Stored on the network disk and backed-up to the imac hard disk might work but I don't know how to do that. Any suggestions or other solutions? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Hmm, what about forcing your desktop to not sleep?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.