Line-in Recording & Real Time Playback Troubles

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 1.5 GHz G4 PPC 10.4.11
I'm having a problem with recording audio from the line-in port. I have a Korg Microkorg synthesizer keyboard hooked into it with a standard 1/4" jack mono instrument cable (with the 1/8" adapter for my Mac line-in) and my Mac (Powerbook G4 10.4.11 PPC) won't playback the sounds in real time. I checked my system preferences to see if the line-in was disabled, and I could see the audio level meter working each time I pressed a key, although the sound was not playing through my speakers or my headphones (I tried both). I have Audacity installed for recording/editing audio tracks and it actually recorded the notes that I was playing, but it didn't playback in real time. I had to stop recording, and then playback to hear what I just recorded.

I really don't know how else to go about diagnosing the problem since I'm still kind of new to Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac
I'm having a similar problem - I can't seem to playback or record from line-in - I too have audacity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
Make sure when you're on the track that you want hear/record that the "monitor" is turned on. It's in the bottom left of the garageband window. Sometimes I get a delay too when i first plug in my instruments but its an easy fix. just hit the record button for a second and play a couple notes. it should sync back up into real time.
Good luck!

OP
reed.f
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 1.5 GHz G4 PPC 10.4.11
Make sure when you're on the track that you want hear/record that the "monitor" is turned on. It's in the bottom left of the garageband window. Sometimes I get a delay too when i first plug in my instruments but its an easy fix. just hit the record button for a second and play a couple notes. it should sync back up into real time.
Good luck!

I don't have Garageband, but I'll see if Audacity has a similar feature to the GB monitor.

Thanks you both for replying to this, I thought this I was going to have to bump it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.