Increasing RAM in a Macbook

Reaction score
I have a 2.4ghz Macbook with Itel Core 2 Duo processor and 2GB RAM.

What is the maximum RAM I can have, is it 4GB? If so, and I go and get it, what actual difference will this make to the Macbook?

Is it easy to do myself?

Does it matter where I get it, as I've seen pretty large price differences for a 2GB RAM kit?

Thanks

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Ok, it will make your system faster if you need more RAM. Also systems will benefit from more RAM a little anyway. Buy the RAM from the net, which country do you live in?

It is really easy, look on youtube. I can't link it here as there have been 2 macbooks at 2.4Ghz and I don't know which you have.

Reaction score
2 sticks

As far as im aware there'll be 2x1GB in the slots, as this is the most efficient way to install RAM.

4GB macbook RAM in the UK ... go to play.com, think it's about £60.

It will only improve your system if you need more RAM though ... if you handle large files a lot for example, have several programs running alot etc.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, maybe I don't need it just yet then, although some applications take an age to load up and bounce in the dock for a good 20 seconds before opening, which is why I thought it may help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Certainly no harm in upgrading your machine to its maximum memory capacity. Large applications will benefit from the increased memory especially if you have a tendency to run several memory intensive apps at the same time.

Your machine came from Apple with two modules installed: 2 x 1GB so both will have to be removed and replaced with 2 x 2GB. Cost is around $52.00 here in the US from Crucial. Shop around in the UK.

Regards.

Reaction score
Wish it was that cheap here :p you know how it works with electronics ... $1 = £1 ... sucks but true. Luckily due to the failing economy its balancing a little :p

However agreed, i only briefly looked into it and that was the cheapest I found, but no harm in shopping around.

If you can warrant the cost, then go for it. Im a PS ***** (designer) and often handle PSDs up to and around 50mb but rarely feel underpowered with 2GB, but know full well that Ill upgrade as soon as I upgrade to CS4.

[EDIT]

Assuming you have the new unibody model: Computer memory upgrades for Apple MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch DDR3) MB466LL/A Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com

Reaction score
do it !!

dman77,

i bought 2 x 2 gb from that seller on ebay to install in my macbook and it is perfect, 2 minute job and its makes mine go like lightening now especially when i run a vm ( need to run internet explorer)

i paid £45 for 2 x 2gb, just do it you wont regret it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 prev. gen MB with a 350hd. 1 20inch previous iMac. Both run SL jailbroken 1st gen ipod touc. &3g i
i thought you could push 6gigs into them??

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Nope. If I have this right, the first Mac outside of the Mac Pro to support more than 4GB was the new MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Saving up for a Macbook
o yea its really easy to replace ram... just look on youtube or go to ifixit.com

Reaction score
I upgraded the RAM in my MB like 2 days after I got the system... the only advice I would have is be careful when unscrewing the (8) screws holding down the bottom cover. You need a fairly small phillips-head screwdriver and be gentle. You don't want to strip the screw heads. Other than this, no more than a 5-minute job.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 15" 2.4, 4 gig ram, 200gig hd
I just bought 4 gig from buy.com for 44 bucks with free shipping. I can't believe how cheap it has become.

Reaction score
Hi, Hope you don't mind me asking this on your thread..I have recently purchased a 15"pro 2GB & am wondering if i should of gone for the 4GB ... all works fine until i start downloading movies ( something i have never been able to master before on my old XP model) & then it appears to take much longer to find pages Etc. i have 2 MB broadband coming into my home.
is this normal & something to live with or would 4GB overcome my problem ?.
i have a period of time to exchange the machine & need to get this right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
...downloading movies ...appears to take much longer to find pages Etc. i have 2 MB broadband coming into my home.

....would 4GB overcome my problem ?.
No, it wouldn't make any difference in that instance.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Do you mean much longer to load web pages? Well, if you are downloading a lot on your connection, the speed at which pages load in your browser could very well be affected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.