• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple launches new iPod Shuffle.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Apple® today introduced the all-new iPod® shuffle, the world's smallest music player at nearly half of the size of the previous model, and the first music player that talks to you. The revolutionary new VoiceOver feature enables iPod shuffle to speak your song titles, artists and playlist names. The third generation iPod shuffle is significantly smaller than a AA battery, holds up to 1,000 songs and is easier to use with all of the controls conveniently located on the earphone cord. With the press of a button, you can play, pause, adjust volume, switch playlists and hear the name of the song and artist. iPod shuffle features a gorgeous new aluminum design with a built-in stainless steel clip that makes it ultra-wearable.

More here:
Apple: New iPod Shuffle Moves Buttons to Headphones, Adds Text to Speech

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
It's pretty cool. Like the very minimalist design and "speach" function. Are we expecting any other ipod redesigns?

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's pretty cool. Like the very minimalist design and "speach" function. Are we expecting any other ipod redesigns?

Well, seeing as this one was a complete surprise, I don't believe so.

What strikes me about this one is the fact that you are effectively locked into using Apple ear buds (which aren't known to be of the best quality). I hope this isn't a sign of things to come for the rest of the iPod line-up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.4 ghz intel core duo / 4 gig of ram.
very true. I didn't even consider that! Not cool apple!

Reaction score
3G iPod Shuffle = FAIL!

I've never said that about an Apple product until today. Everything looked great until I saw those headphones. Apple's basic headphones horrid to begin with but now we're forced to use them or fork over ANOTHER $79 for some "decent" headphones.

I watched the demo video and noticed that you can't play the previous track or replay the current song. Double clicking only lets you advance to the next song. The play list implementation is kinda dumb too. I would rather do without.

The only positive I can see here is that it is nice looking and smaller. Voice over is a nice touch but I'm not really sure that I would care about that.

I think I'll stick with my 2G iPod shuffle. For the first time, I'm looking at an Apple product and thinking, "Do Not Want"

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3G iPod Shuffle = FAIL!

Pretty much. The last iteration was nearly perfect for what it did. There was no reason to make it smaller. I mean, honestly, it's not like you're going to stash something that small in a pocket - the controls are already readily accessible. Now, if they had a shake to shuffle feature, that would have been cool. But they should have left well enough alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
In all frankness, it looks like crap, and its gonna work like crap.

The design is just rubbish. There's nothing unique about it, and its just a piece of plain looking metal.

Functionality wise, to force us to use the original earpiece is utter nonsense. And the controls are innovative, but impractical.

They should've just sticked to the old model. This is "innovative", but its completely over-doing it. Its like designing a new model just for the sake of re-designing, and to up their profit margins as old iPod users rush to get the new one for all the hype. Nonsense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
Making controls on the headphone cable but with a 3.5mm jack connection so you could disconnect the earbuds and replace with new headphones would have made more sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I guess nobody read that Apple will make an adapter and third party headphone makers can make headphone/earphones with the in-line controls too. I guess that's little comfort due to extra cost, but it's a better than what you're ranting about. I do agree that a 2-part cord out of the box would be much better, but they wouldn't make extra money on an adapter. (I wonder if other in-line control headphones would work with it already?) Also, based on what I've read, they're keeping the old design too and selling it as a 1GB version. So you'll still have that design too if you don't like this one.

Personally, I'm really excited about this. I have been wanting playlist functionality on a shuffle for a long time not and this is very well thought out implementation with the speech functionality. I think the reason I like it is the same reason it was designed: for users who use it while exercising. I want to have a choice in music exercising, but I don't want to click through multiple albums one song at a time to get tot he one I want. Also, the in-line controls are perfect for runners. I used to clip the old Shuffle to my coller, but had a hard time adjusting volume and lcicking through songs that way. With the in-line controls it'll be much easier.

I give it 2 big thumbs up. Time for a trip to the Apple Store!!

EDIT: after watching the demo I'm a little unhappy that the controls are kind of high on the cord and that you have to listen through the playlists and "catch" the one you want by licking when it's said rather than be able to click through them yourself. (I also like the Windows voice better than Mac's) But all in all I'm still excited about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
What the? This thing is so tiny. Lets hope you all have 20/20 vision. Cause if you're not the best of seeing you could lose the thing so easily.

In my opinion:

+ the headphone controls are pretty cool and useful for runners and public transport users etc.
+ smaller is less materials used to create and better for the environment
+ 4GB for a shuffle is nice.
+ the talk feature is great, providing it be switched on and off depending on what the user wants.
+ 14 languages for the talk feature
+ battery life seems reasonable
+ ability to tell you name of song playing. If you can't remember it.
+ International pricing seems reasonable. (And can save up a little more as general wages/salaries don't increase when the $ value decreases)

+/- "is incredibly easy to clip to almost anything" according to apple. This is good but doesn't say exactly how this works so that part is a negative.

- So small you might lose it
- A choking hazard if near little children or animals
- Could be filled with sensitive information and easily hidden in places/bodily orifices to sneak the contained info out of the country. (ie used for various criminal activities)
- Can't clip it to my shirt like the 2nd gen one.
- till a new adapter comes out, stuck with apple's headphones. Which really are best replaced asap, quality wise.
- Availability of 2nd generation is my best guess limited at best.
- No 1 or 2GB model available. (have to get 2nd Gen instead)
- requires 10.4.11 and itunes 8.1 (I know a lot of people with itunes 7 still cause of the features left off itunes 8) and the USB 2 requirement means I can't use it with my old G3 I have set up as a 2nd machine/downstairs music box.

So overall do I like the 3rd gen model? yes and no. The 2nd gen is everything the 3rd is not. And vice versa. They are 2 totally different really tiny beasts.

Personally I'm more a largest model nano person but of these 2 models I'd rather go for the new one with a new headphones. I love the old clip feature but on the train being to skip to the next track without having to get the ipod out of my pocket is a real plus to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
- So small you might lose it
- A choking hazard if near little children or animals
- Could be filled with sensitive information and easily hidden in places/bodily orifices to sneak the contained info out of the country. (ie used for various criminal activities)
- Can't clip it to my shirt like the 2nd gen one.

Are these really negtives??

- The first can be said for the 2nd gen or any other very small player.
- The second can be said for any small object you can find. (Learn to look after your kids and keep them safe for Pete's sake!)
- The third can be applied to soooo many products including micro SD cards (which is much smaller and would be much more comfortable in those orifaces!).
- And I don't see how you couldn't clip this to a shirt as opposed to the 2nd gen. Please explain!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I'll keep my gen 2 shuffle for backpacking, I hate apples earbuds, they're uncomfortable and the sound quality is lacking. Lousy design requiring OEM ones. I thought Jobs was an audiophile :sigh:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW: I thought Apple updated their headphones recently and htey're supposed to be a lot better now. Are those separately sold headphones are am I just remembering an article out of the rumor mill? Or maybe they're just as bad!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My wife has a pair of the 'sold separately' buds and I've got the new buds that come with them now.. they're still uncomfortable and still don't sound as good (IMO) as other aftermarket equipment

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Making controls on the headphone cable but with a 3.5mm jack connection so you could disconnect the earbuds and replace with new headphones would have made more sense.

There still is that chance that it might become an accessory later.

Reaction score
3-11-09ipodwar2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There still is that chance that it might become an accessory later.
after the change to eliminate 3rd party accessories with the newer touch etc.. I doubt it. Sad

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.