Volume (up/down) doesn't work with optical

F

fabio

hi

oke, i've got the G5.
and the first problem.

i plugged the creative GD580 speaker system.
it's got an optical input, and sounds good.

but the problem is, that i just can mute it via OSX.

the volume down/up buttons don't work.

in the controllpanel i selected "Optical Output - Port for optical output".

now, tha fader to set to volume becomes grey, and below a messages says "The selected devise got no output controll" (or somethings, i use the OSX in german, so i dont realy know what it exactly is transleted)

this sucks, because to adjust the volume i'll have to turn i ****y button on the speaker.

is there any workaround??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
nope, optical out is the pure audio signal being sent in 1's and 0's (or on and off cause it's optical) to your speakers/amp to process. So anything to do with processing the sound, like volume and mute, becomes the responsibility of your speakers/amp.

OP
F

fabio

chmp, but is there any software-like solution?
in itunes, i also can volume up and down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2GHz PowerMac G5 + 20" Apple Cinema Display
hi, sorry to bring back on old thread, but i have the same 'problem' with my new speakers (this is the only thread i could find).

like fabio said, how come i can use the volume slider in iTunes to turn up/down the volume but not the volume keys? is there anyway around this? I can't get out of the habit of using the volume keys for up/down lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I suppose you could use a tool such as Quicksilver to assign keyboard shortcuts to volume up / down in iTunes and then map those to unused F keys...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.