Sick of Fios router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53
I am using a Fios Actiontec MI424WR rev D, it is a total piece of crap. Is there a way to bypass it and use my timecapsule for wifi instead?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sure. You just need to turn the wireless radio off in the router's configuration webpage. If Verizon didn't give you documentation on how to do this, you'll need to contact them for details. Just let them know that you want to disable the wireless functionality in their router as you intend to use your own.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I am using a Fios Actiontec MI424WR rev D, it is a total piece of crap. Is there a way to bypass it and use my timecapsule for wifi instead?

As cwa107 mentioned, contact Verizon. However, some info you need to know about FIOS: The router provided by Verizon is more than just a "router". It also interacts with your TV (s) to their system so that it can receive messages and at the same time, the on screen guide. Additionally, if it's removed, you will also lose Pay Per View.

You'll need to keep the Actiontec in the circuit while at the same time bypassing it and using your Time Capsule just for wireless. Make sure when you call Verizon support, you get someone who is familiar with Mac machines and OS X. :)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.