unble to unstall new or old osx

Reaction score
I am a former PC user and now a new mac user, so please be patient. I recently purchased a MBP used and I want to start from scratch because then i will know what does where and the machine wil run as if out of the box.

Now for my problem. My problem is that i can't install any osx software. I tried to install 10.5 to no avail so i thought since the current OSX is 10.4 that was the problem but NOPE. When i install the OSX disc im able to click on the install and begin a process but as soon as the install begins a window opens up stating i cannnot install the disc.

The only thing I can think of is that the person who initially set up this MBP set it up so no one can mess with it by not allowing any system installs. Can someone point me in the right direction with noobie steps. I dont know if this helps any but the lap top was from a rental house and maybe thats the reason behind the inabliity to install OSX 10.5

I dont know if this will help but mt mbp is a 17" 04 model.
Please someone help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of install disk do you currently have for Leopard? For Tiger?

Gray colored disks are specific for the model of machine to be installed on. The retail version of Leopard is black.

If you have the original install disk (Tiger - OS X 10.4.X) you can re-install by booting the MBP with that disk. Hold down the "C" key during boot process.
Once the machine is booted, you can begin the install process. Just follow the menus.

It doesn't appear your machine has any restrictions otherwise you would have been asked for a password. So it's more than likely a procedural matter.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
You cannot downgrade a Mac ie. if it came with 10.4.2 installed you cannot install 10.4.
Go back to the seller and get the original install discs that should always stay with the Mac they came with. If that isn't possible get them from Apple. Cheaper than new retail operating disks and will have the extras for your Mac.

OP
T
Reaction score
What kind of install disk do you currently have for Leopard? For Tiger?

Gray colored disks are specific for the model of machine to be installed on. The retail version of Leopard is black.

If you have the original install disk (Tiger - OS X 10.4.X) you can re-install by booting the MBP with that disk. Hold down the "C" key during boot process.
Once the machine is booted, you can begin the install process. Just follow the menus.

It doesn't appear your machine has any restrictions otherwise you would have been asked for a password. So it's more than likely a procedural matter.

chscag,

I didnt know that i needed to use a specific disc for my mac. The install disc that i was trying to instal are GREY and not BLACK. I have a 10.4 disc copy that i tried to install with and maybe because its copied i didnt have any luck. I tried to reboot my system holding the "C" button down and was able to choose the language but as soon as the install began that famous " Unable to install" window showed up again. I think i will just have to bite the bullet and purchase a new osx retail.

torchy,

You cannot downgrade a Mac ie. if it came with 10.4.2 installed you cannot install 10.4.
Go back to the seller and get the original install discs that should always stay with the Mac they came with. If that isn't possible get them from Apple. Cheaper than new retail operating disks and will have the extras for your Mac.

Im currently running on 10.4.11 but the osx disc just says 10.4 nothing else. As stated before these disc are grey so that answers my question. Unfortunatly the seller doesnt have the any of the packaging but the MBP and charger. I think i will have to cruise over to the Apple store and maybe they will have something for me.

Thanks for the help, hopefully i can update with positive news.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like your seller has kept the install discs for their own use and you have been diddled alas.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.