G4, and dual monitors?

Reaction score
Hello all hopefully someone can help me here... I have a g4 and i have to monitors hooked up to it on one video card... I have to different types of monitors on there...b/c on the video card there is 2 slots...and since i am at a school i can get more than one monitor...anyways when i hope them both up and restart the computer all i get is one that displays the image. Now my question is.. is it possible to hook up both of them on the same video card, and if so where do i change it. bc i looked in system pref. and under displays and it didn't list the other monitor any where...also i have both monitors turned on when i boot the computer so it should work...hopefully someone can help me out! thanks
justin Reynolds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
jureynolds said:
Hello all hopefully someone can help me here... I have a g4 and i have to monitors hooked up to it on one video card... I have to different types of monitors on there...b/c on the video card there is 2 slots...and since i am at a school i can get more than one monitor...anyways when i hope them both up and restart the computer all i get is one that displays the image. Now my question is.. is it possible to hook up both of them on the same video card, and if so where do i change it. bc i looked in system pref. and under displays and it didn't list the other monitor any where...also i have both monitors turned on when i boot the computer so it should work...hopefully someone can help me out! thanks
justin Reynolds
BTW there's no need for double posting on the forum...my G4 with dual monitor card has an ADC and a DVI port...which G4 and are the connections the same?

OP
J
Reaction score
deus_ex_machina said:
BTW there's no need for double posting on the forum...my G4 with dual monitor card has an ADC and a DVI port...which G4 and are the connections the same?

Here is what my system profiler says:
GeForce2 MX:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Display Type: CRT
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 32 MB
Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0110
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 1049

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 99 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Main Display: Yes

OP
J
Reaction score
jureynolds said:
Here is what my system profiler says:
GeForce2 MX:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
Display Type: CRT
Slot: SLOT-1
VRAM (Total): 32 MB
Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0110
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 1049

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768 @ 99 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Main Display: Yes

and here is what the type is i forgot to add it: 733 MHz PowerPC g4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
On reboot it should recognize the second display...had a similar prob with a G4...we eventually replaced the card because it wouldn't recognize the second display. Granted it was 400Mhz G4 and I'm not sure the second port had even been tested. I have no idea of the condition of the card and monitors...you've tried combinations (i.e. - the monitors dually with another computer, testing the same card with two different monitors, etc?) Apart from that possibly repair permissions or see if there are display preferences you can trash in your library.
Does anyone else want to bite?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.