Dell PC surround sound speakers to new Mac

Reaction score
I am going from PC to Apple. I have fabulous surround sound speakers (Altec) that plugged into my Dell tower via a tri plug system (yellow, black and green). The other end goes directly into the LARGE speaker drive (not plugged in) Altec Lansing THX Dolby speakers

What do I need to do to use these speakers for the Mac? They cost a small fortune and really have great sound.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Mac machines have an audio output port that can support most speaker systems including surround sound. Whether the audio output port is separate or combined depends on which machine you intend to buy. I suggest you go to your local Apple store or Best Buy and ask one of the sale persons to demo the sound output for you. Be sure to ask about your Altec system.

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just use a single wire, doesn't matter which one although the user manual says to use the green one.

Plug it into the headphone/audio out port on your Mac and plug the other end into the port marked AUX on the subwoofer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just use a single wire, doesn't matter which one although the user manual says to use the green one.

Plug it into the headphone/audio out port on your Mac and plug the other end into the port marked AUX on the subwoofer.

Bob, I take it you looked at the manual. Do those Dell Speakers have a Optical Digital in?

OP
C
Reaction score
Speakers to Mac

I called Altec and they said to get a Mac compatible 5.1 external audio card which can receive the three plugs.

Any suggestions for one since I really don't even know what one looks like or where to go?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.