Multiple iTunes Library

Reaction score
Hi me and my partner have very different tastes in music and I would like to keep our music libraries seperate. He uses iTunes with his iPod, i want to use iTunes to manage and play my music only. I know about holding down option and clicking, but this seems a long drawn out way of doing things - clicking through finder to i find the respective library i want to open. And my partner is a bit mac-illiterate so hunting through finder is too much for him!

I want a way of simply selecting the right library when I open iTunes. This seems to be impossible, and after several searches of the web and downloading various bits of software I have accomplished nothing lol!

One promising piece of freeware was iTunes Library Selector which looked like it would do the trick. Alas, it did not. I had one library (my partners) with his music, and my library with all this music, his and mine. I also tried Tunes Library Manager but this didnt do quite what I wanted.

So my question is how can I easily and quickly open different iTunes libraries, in a way that is novice user friendly for my partner.

btw the system is a Unibody Macbook.

Thanks - sorry about the essay!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
To be honest, you cant. What you can do is make your individual Library's into play lists (one big one for each of you) and then manage them that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.