Unable to format external HD partition as FAT32/MS-DOS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
Hi guys, I recently installed Windows on my mac (using boot camp). I only gave it a 8gb partition on my hard drive as I wasn't planning to use it a lot, and my hard drive is only 160GB. I have an external hard drive, but it does not show up when I am in windows. I partitioned it so I could re format the partition for use with windows. The partition is 150GB. I went to disk utility to re format the partition to FAT32/MS-DOS, and it wont let me. Under the erase tab, the options for formats are:

Mac OSX Extended (Journaled)
Mac OSX Extended
Mac OSX Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled)
Mac OSX Extended (Case-sensitive)

I have searched for how to do this, and everywhere I have looked it just says choose FAT32, but I cant choose FAT32.

Please help!

Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How large is the external drive? Is it the Seagate 1TB drive that you used to create the 150 GB partition? How did you create the 150 GB partition?

Also, while you were in Windows how did you attempt to view the external hard drive? Did you use the Windows Explorer (My Computer) or did you use Disk Manager?

Sorry about all the questions but answering them will help us to determine how to resolve the problem.

Regards.

OP
mikey.b@gmx.com
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook4,1 2.4Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 160GB HD OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard | iPod Touch 16gb 2G
Hi, yes it is the 1tb freeagent pro. I created the partition in disk utility in OSX.

I tried to look for the drive in windows explorer, but also I installed the freeagent tools, and that said that no drive was connected. When I use the freeagent tools in OSX they detect the drive (both partitions), and everything works fine.

Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.