Is the new Imac or the refurb best for my needs?

Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a new desktop computer. Still have not gone 100% with the imac over the pc.

I see the 2.8 24" Imac refurbished is $1200 or I can get the 2.6 24" new Imac for $1500.

I would like some help determining for my needs which one is a better buy.

I plan on using the computer for standard needs(web surfing, itunes,etc) and would also like to add a second 24" monitor. I will need to run a windows operating system I guess with parallels for my online poker. Some of the software needs windows to run.

So my plan is to have dual monitors, one running the windows with all of my poker windows(4-8windows + poker tracker program) and the other monitor to be used for web surfing, watching videos or movies,photoshop,etc at the same time. I need it to run smoothly where there is no lag or freezing up.

Just want to make sure I dont pick up the wrong computer. Thanks again for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I am looking at purchasing a new desktop computer. Still have not gone 100% with the imac over the pc.
I would like some help determining for my needs which one is a better buy.

I will need to run a windows operating system I guess with parallels for my online poker. Some of the software needs windows to run.

So my plan is to have dual monitors, one running the windows with all of my poker windows(4-8windows + poker tracker program) and the other monitor to be used for web surfing, watching videos or movies,photoshop,etc at the same time.
Best machine for you would be a Windows computer.
Seems like the majority of your software/uses would require Windows, so you don't seem like you'll benefit from getting a Mac.

A Windows PC is the better buy in your case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
EDIT: I agree with devilboy. For your uses, there's no need to spend $1200-$1500 on a computer. If you really want a Mac, get a Mini (the new one can do dual monitors as well). But if you're mostly running Windows, there's not much need for a Mac. You can pick up a $400 Dell or HP that will do anything you want.

Original post follows:
The 2.8 GHz one is better. In fact it's probably the best deal available from Apple right now. However, I'm not seeing it available as a refurb... however, it is available in the "clearance" section, meaning it's not an open-box unit but rather an unopened one that wasn't sold before the update. Either way, it's the same configuration but $1399 instead of $1199. And even then, it's better:

+ Faster processor (by only 133 MHz but still)
+ Better graphics (dedicated HD2600 Pro vs. integrated 9400M)
+ Cheaper (by only $100; $300 if you can get a refurb)
- 2 GB of RAM vs. 4 GB
- 640 GB HD vs. 320 GB

The slightly smaller RAM and hard drive numbers mean virtually nothing. You can easily upgrade the RAM yourself, and you can get an external hard drive if you need more space. It's really the graphics card (which can't be upgraded at all) that makes the older one that much better.

OP
M
Reaction score
The imac 2.8 refurbs pop up here and there in the refurb section. Just have to continue to check till one is there.

The only thing I would run in windows would be Full tilt poker and poker tracker. Everything else would be through the macs OS.

If I did not play online poker and need two run windows at the same time would you still recommend the PC? Seems like most people on here with Macs have the same needs I have for usage, except I have one extra program.

Kind of tired of worrying about viruses, crashes, etc with my windows laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I do think that a pc would be better off for you. No need to spend hundreds extra for it to look pretty, if you have any knowledge of how to put a pc together it might be worth it to build a barebones. If not stick with the company that you like and I would say purchase your moniters through the internet or a local company (Quite a bit of up charging computer companies charge to bundle there monitors with a base computer.)

Edit: If you are worried about virus with windows here is some of the programs that I strongly suggest: AVG anti-virus (Free), Zone Alarm (Free), Ad-aware (Free), and Spyware Doctor (Free through the google pack.)

OP
M
Reaction score
Whoa, another pc recommendation.

It seems weird to me. Throughout these forums I see Macs recommended to the average computer user as being better or as being a good alternative to PCs. I consider myself an average computer user with similar needs to most people.

The refurb Imac is pretty comparable in price to PCs with 24" monitors from Dell,Hp,etc.

So I guess right now I am trying to figure out what people macs are good for. If a PC is recommende to me, seems like 90% of the population would be better off with a PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.0 Core 2 duo, Alienware 7700 3.2ghz, Iphone,Imac g5,Powebook 15" 1.5ghz
If 90 percent of those pple just search the web and play poker a pc makes more scene because its basic you dont need a 2.8ghz computer to play poker lol And Yes we are the 10%

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.