Storage use advice please.

Reaction score
OK, so.. here's my situation...

I recently purchased my new MB which contains a 250G HD. My intention was to use my new MB for all my photo storage and mp3 storage. My photos were previously stored on an external HD (about 25G worth) and the mp3 were on another external HD (about 160G worth). Well, the first thing I imported onto my MB was the photos which I played around a bit adjusting and all. Suddenly, I noticed my storage was down to about 190G avail. I was like WOW, that got chewed up quick.

Next thing was to import my mp3 files (about 160G worth). I've imported about half my collection and have been playing around with CD covers and stuff. Well, my storage is now down to the 120G available. My plan was to finish off importing my mp3 files which would then leave me only about 40G available. :(

After reading much on this forum about backing up the system, I went out and purchased a 500G external HD for backing up my system which I have not yet set up.

But, now I am thinking about how Time Machine would work trying to back up so much data. How quick will Time machine fill up that 500G external HD with historical copies when the source is about 200G worth of data.

So, question.... what would be your recommendation for setting up my storage?

a) Continue with setting up Time Machine with my one 500G external HD to backup my internal HD.
b) Use a different backup utility to backup the system to my 500G external HD.
c) Purchase a 2nd external HD and use it to store my mp3 files (they use up the majority of my internal HD) and use Time Machine to backup what remains on my internal HD.

Any other suggestions? How do others here manage their "large" mp3 collections?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Time Machine will create one backup of your entire system, and then will only backup changes made since then. It does not repeatedly make copies of everything on your computer, so the 500 GB drive could last a long time before being filled up.

OP
Vipor
Reaction score
Thank you for that quick reply and clarification ADKhikerVW. Very much a MB newbie here with lots to learn. Much appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.