fios network

Reaction score
ok this might sound stupid or crazy, im not sure. im new at this whole network thing, and i have a few questions....on my verizon fios "network page" it has 5 different "mac addresses" listed. one should be my "imac" and one should be my sons laptop, however none of the mac addresses match up?? also what are the others ones for? does it actually show my tv's that are hooked up to my verizon? or have i been hacked? i have no clue!!!

OP
D
Reaction score
Needing Help!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!.......i am so at my wits end at this point!! and i could sure use some tech advice if anyone has encounter the problems im having..ok here goes, i have a apple imac, with mac osx installed on it, and im using verizon fios...i have had NOTHING but issues with the fios AND verizon, first my tv's now computers!!! seems that every few days my mac can not access the internet, when you go in and look at router everything is normal and states there is a connection, still no internet!? none of the setting on router OR mac were changed because they are locked. this problem just happened one day and has not stopped the intermitting disruptions no matter what we've done. been on the phone with verizon 8 DIFFERENT TIMES about this for hours on end!!!! we pinged it, reset it, reset the box on the house, and still everything says its running and up, but no internet?? finally they decided it MUST be a faulty router, so they send me a new one, i install it...few days later, NO INTERNET AGAIN!!!!!!! everytime they want to send a tech out, it starts working again....knuckle head at verizon try to tell me its apple's software! not compatable with fios!!!..i said HAHAHA, all of a sudden fios and mac arent compatable overnite huh? that funny, my sons laptop has vista, and he is sharing my internet connection, and he cant access internet either??!!! then they tell me my computers are broken!!!!! ***!!!!!!!!!!!! has anyone encounter such a mess with fios???? i need help here! sorry bout long post!!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm on FIOS here in Fort Worth and it works great for both my TVs and my computers (Mac and PCs). Most Verizon tech support personnel know absolutely nothing about OS X and will usually blame either the Mac or operating system for poor connection problems.

Your problem might be either a security issue or poor DNS routing.

The first thing I suggest is that you learn the inner workings of your Actiontec Router (assuming you have an Actiontec). How to access its menus and settings. Also learn what your Airport settings are and how to change them.

The second thing I suggest is to use OpenDNS rather than the system generated DNS by Verizon.

Read up on OpenDNS at this Link

Any changes you make to DNS will also have to be done on your Son's computer. Same for security.

If you have security setup (WEP, WPA, etc) temporarily turn it off to make any setting changes. Also have an ethernet cable handy to attach your router to the Mac while making the changes or accessing the router menus.

Post back and let us know.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
The other MAC addresses you are seeing are your set top boxes.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks for the feed back, but if none of my settings have been changed, why is acting up now?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
thanks for the feed back, but if none of my settings have been changed, why is acting up now?

Maybe your airport settings have not changed in your machine but otherwise I'd say quite a bit has changed. You've swapped out the router for one and Verizon has been in contact with the system numerous times according to your previous post.

I had my FIOS system up and running for the better part of 5 months when all of a sudden my internet connection slowed down considerably. Numerous calls to Verizon were made to no avail. I found out that Verizon had changed the way they were providing DNS addresses. My PCs were fine, but my MacBook was not. I switched to OpenDNS and everything returned to normal. I'm not saying that's your problem, but maybe you should try making some changes. Or you can continue to do battle with Verizon.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks for all the feedback but im not sure i know anything about DNS, or how to mess with it, and yes it is a actiontech router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.