just got iBook.Some questions!

Reaction score
Hey

I just recieved my new 12" iBook and I am really happy with it!

man it is so cool.

I do have a few questions I was hoping that someof you may be able to answer.....

Yes they are really stupid.... but I have never used mac before.

Which is better safari or IE???

Resizing browser windows?? i click the maximize button on safarior IE and it doesnt maximize to full screen... is it suppose to???

Also.... recommended apps???

Thanks for all your help! ;)

Reaction score
iRock said:
Hey

I just recieved my new 12" iBook and I am really happy with it!

man it is so cool.

I do have a few questions I was hoping that someof you may be able to answer.....

Yes they are really stupid.... but I have never used mac before.

Which is better safari or IE???

Resizing browser windows?? i click the maximize button on safarior IE and it doesnt maximize to full screen... is it suppose to???

Also.... recommended apps???

Thanks for all your help! ;)

Congratulations on entering the Mac world, i'm sure you will like it. Welcome to the forum, become a regular, you will pick up a lot of good hints.

Safari or IE.... Hands down Safari, Ie is, always has been and more than likely always will be c***. Never use an Ms product when there is another better program, and there always is.

Recomendations:

Web browser...........1. Safari, 2. FireFox
Email....................1.ThunderBird, 2. Mail
Music....................1. iTunes
cd/dvd burning........1.Mac Burn
Word Processing......1.iWork with Keynote and Pages
Chat......................1.Fire

There are plenty more and i am sure there will be plenty of people saying their particular program is better, but you can't hardly go wrong with any of the above, though your tastes may vary.

To resize the window look down at the bottom right corner...just put your curser there and drag down or to the right and it will resize.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The Zoom/Maximize (+) button will grow the window until it is large enough to show the content. It's supposed to show everything you need to see without taking up too much space. Only if the content is as large or larger than your screen will it actually fill the screen.

OP
I
Reaction score
cool ! Thanks.

All the computers in my college use microsoft office.

I have alot of my work over the past year stored on CD as .doc (ms word files) from the PC. Can I open these on macina program besides ms office??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
AppleWorks will try. It's better than nothing.

OpenOffice/NeoOffice is free and usually does a good job of reading Word docs. http://www.neooffice.org/

Office:Mac is ideal, though, if you can get it.

J

Jordan

Thunderbird over Mail? Why do you say this? I haven't used thunderbird before so I am interested. Then again, I have no real complaints with mail at the moment aside from having trouble with hotmail on it even though I have the plug-in from Mr Parnell.

Also, why Fire over iChat? Can I video conference with Fire to PC users?

Thanks,

Jordan

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I got a chance to try Iwork. Pages opened all my DOC files perfectally. So far I have not found a .doc even with pictures and charts that will not open correctly in Pages. Like was already said, Neo Office is free and works well with any Microsoft office document and spreadsheet also.

On the Thunderbird and Mail question, Mail is just fine for most people But Thunderbird is a very good and complete Mail app. It does a few more things than Mail, but for most people Mail will be fine.

Ichat is great if you only use or chat people who use AOL Instant Messenger, but if you need support for Yahoo, ICQ or MSN or all of them at the same time, Fire, Proteus and Adium are great. I have been using Adium a lot, it's free and works well with all the chat services. When I just use AIM to chat I prefer IChat. It works great and always allows me to direct connect and send people pics where even the real AIM app in Windows often will not.

I almost forgot, DO NOT use IE for the Mac unless you have to! IE is bad enough as it is but the Mac version is worse as Microsoft has not nor will update it at all. If you find any pages that Safari will not handle, grab Mozilla Firefox.

Like James said, Mac Burn is fine for CD Burning. It does most everything most people will need and at $29 it's a great deal. If you need to do more like burn DVD Movies then try Roxio. It costs a lot more than Mac Burn and I find that most everything I need to do is covered by it.

OP
I
Reaction score
How can I open multiple safari windows at once???

I just cant figure it out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
iRock said:
How can I open multiple safari windows at once???

I just cant figure it out!

control+n or control+t for a new tab

shift+control+t to bring the new tab to the front

control+w will close new tab or window

Reaction score
fearlessfreap24 said:
control+n or control+t for a new tab

shift+control+t to bring the new tab to the front

control+w will close new tab or window

Control N and Control T doesnt work...

I think you meant apple+T apple+N.

Apple+W closes the window.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Or if you do not want to use Keyboard Shortcuts, go to the bar on the top when Safari Active and click the File menu and you can open a new window or Tab that way also.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's not Control T or Control N, it's APPLE Key-N or Apple Key-T. Had never used the shortcuts so I just checked. If you are using a non Apple keyboard it would be the ALT Key with the shortcut.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
On the subject of apps, my personal opinion is as follows:

Browser: Camino first, then Safari. Firefox just doesn't do it for me because it's not native.

E-mail: Thunderbird is very complete, but I like Mail better because again, nativity. It's much more integrated.

Music: Definitely iTunes.

IM Client: DEFINITELY Adium for me. Proteus is a little more-well programmed, but lacks a little bit of AIM compatibility and costs money. Fire lacks a lot of AIM compatibility, and all you get from it is IRC, which is lackluster at best in Fire. iChat is AIM only. It's only useful for video chat, IMO, which I don't use anyway. AIM itself for Mac is outdated and ugly. So I'd go with Proteus or Adium, and I use Adium 'cause it's free, and has way better skinning capability.

For office productivity, MS Office 2004 wins hands down for me. It's the standard. It reads PC documents seamlessly and the interface is really nice and Maclike, especially on Word and especially for an MS program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
MactotheMax said:
Control N and Control T doesnt work...

I think you meant apple+T apple+N.

Apple+W closes the window.

exactly what i meant actually meant command. NOOB Mistake but i use the keyboard alot and i wanted to help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.