• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

If Apple made a touch-screen notebook would you buy it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 ghz/Iphone 4/Ipod 4th Gen/More Coming I'm sure, too bad for my wallet ;)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd have to wait and see. If it was more than $600, then no. If it was touch only with no keyboard, then no. If there were less than 2 USB ports, then no. If there was a 2GB RAM cap, then no. If the battery was not swappable when low, then no.
-Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
I voted no, quite simply because I already have a MacBook. :) Also, I want something a little more versatile than a netbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I don't think the netbook market is something apple will get into, i think it will cut into all their other products that have a premium attached to their price.

its the same reason they won't be making an user-upgradable tower anytime soon.

Reaction score
I voted yes, because i like touch the last time. But the battery must be long lasting, and there must be a option to link a wireless keyboard to it without using a usb port(i need them for other shizzle).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
It's just nothing for me, I could never type on something so small, my hands are just too big for something like an Asus EEE :D

Anyway, I'm not sure Apple will go with netbooks as we know them, touch screens might be interesting, Apple does enjoy multi-touch :) If they do make a netbook, it has to be something very different

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Voted a big 'NO'. They are toys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Voted a big 'NO'. They are toys!

just the other day at school I saw two people sitting next to each other with the same netbook, it was just too funny, I couldn't resist sitting next them with my MBP :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Apple touch-screen netbook in Q3?
Wintek to supply touch panels for Apple netbook, says paper

I know there has been a lot of speculation about Apple making a netbook, but my question is would you buy one? A lot of people have a Macbook/Air + iPhone so do you think this would really take off?

I know this topic may have been discussed before, I just wanted to see a visual representation and why you might buy one ;)

It would come down to price. If it were under $600, and was very notebook-like, I'd consider it. I have no need for a Tablet PC sort of device, and if it's just an iPhone on steroids (as some have conjectured), I'd expect it to flop as badly as most tablet PCs do.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
just the other day at school I saw two people sitting next to each other with the same netbook, it was just too funny, I couldn't resist sitting next them with my MBP :D
Good call.

You couldn't pay me enough to use one - underpowered and way too small. In my eyes, unless you can't afford anything better, they are useless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I voted no.

I don't see touch screen technology on a regular computer (be it Mac or Windows driven) as being particularly user friendly for the average consumer. There are lots of businesses related uses that already use touch screen technology (particularly in Service and Manufacturing industries) and that will (and should) continue to expand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Considering the price of the initial iPhone and the fact that the current one is $300 subsidized by a phone contract, do you really think they would make something more than twice as big and powerful for less than $600? Dream on!

I'd have to wait and see. If it was more than $600, then no. If it was touch only with no keyboard, then no. If there were less than 2 USB ports, then no. If there was a 2GB RAM cap, then no. If the battery was not swappable when low, then no.
-Dave

Even if they do come out with one, I think it's safe to say that given Apple's history of products they will not produce anything to meet those standards!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminum MacBook: 2.4GHZ Core 2 Duo, 3GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDEA GeForce 9400M, 250 GB HDD (32GB for Vista)
I voted no simply because I already own an aluminum MacBook which is powerful and portable enough for me. And I mean come on! This is Apple we're talking about! Would they really make a portable computer for less than $600-800? Of course not! Apple is all about making great quality products that are the best of the best. The MacBook Air is the closest they'll ever get to a netbook. Why? They wanted to keep it small, thin, and almost weight-less while keeping a full display, full keyboard, and not making any true compromises in its power. Think about everything they would have to compromise in a netbook. It wouldn't happen simply because Apple is not like that. And a touch screen in it? For Apple to make a touch screen netbook today for around $600, they'd have to put in a G4 to keep it at that price! But that would consume more power to be a true netbook, and that's a different story. If Apple were to put a touch screen in any of their computers, it would either be an online store custom feature for the iMac or a display with a touch screen that people would hook up to their Mac Pros. However, Apple is turning over to using all glossy displays on all of their products and a touch screen on a glossy display wouldn't be good and people wouldn't buy it. It would only be criticized by most people, and few people would buy it. Apple as a company is very smart. How else would they be this great and have gotten so far? They really do think things over for the best, and making a netbook or a touch screen computer is not something they've wanted to do yet, but I don't think they'll want to do it in the future either. If anything, maybe there could be a typing program and a mini keyboard (like the ones you can buy for PDAs to use with Pocket Word) to be hooked up to the iPod Touch or iPhone. That would be really helpful, and I think at least a decent number of people would buy it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer the tactile sensation of an actual book.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer the tactile sensation of an actual book.

I don't disagree but there are those odd times when having an e-book comes in handy. I downloaded the Classics App for the iPhone and it has kept me occupied more than a few times when I was unprepared for a wait.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Would not be interested in a netbook.

I would look at an e-book reader competitive with the Kindle in price of hardware and books.

Reaction score
I would buy it it the touch screen rumor is true. I would really rather have a touch screen mac tablet.

Reaction score
If the computer functioned closely to a Macbook or Macbook pro I would most likely buy one. One thing that I find t he notebooks lack is a touch screen tablet form. This would make my life easier within digital design in reducing my cost for a tablet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.