• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Looking to set up a home studio

Reaction score
Hey there,

I work as a director/producer, creating content for tv & the web. In my spare time, I dabble in web design and music composition (i'm a pianist / composer). I realize it's about time I switch over to the Mac world from PC land.

I will be running the following...
Video Editing & Motion Graphics -- Final Cut Studio / After Effects
Design -- Photoshop / Flash / Dreamweaver
Audio -- Logic / Garage Band

Would appreciate any suggestions on a machine geared towards this. I don't want to go near the Macbook Pro because of the price tag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8
Are you looking for a new rig or a used one?
Are you thinking about a custom rig?
What price range are you looking at?
Do you need to be portable or will a desktop do?
Will you be using internal storage or external for files?

There are many options and a bit more info will help to figure something good for you. I personally use a MacBook Pro with FCS and After Effects with an external drive for all my files. I use FC almost every day.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Robzilla,

My budget would be around 1500$ for a new setup.
I am more comfortable at a desktop for edit work, will save all my files to 2 external HDs.
Would you recommend a custom solution?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8
Well, I've seen build lists for what is called a "hackintosh" which is essentially an intel chipset and pc innards running OSX for less than a grand. I'm at work now but when I find go home I'll try to find the link and post it here for you. At the least it will give you an idea of what is possible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.