G5 screen flickering red on & off

Reaction score
Hi,

My G5 screen started doing something really weird the other night in which the whole screen had a really strong contrast of red. It would differ from a weak shade to almost entirely red.

Then to make things stranger it would flick back to normal however no red would be displayed, showing red as a dark grey almost black.

Then back to the red contrast.

I hope it's an easy fix.. i'm partially ok with taking the back off and playing with anything that may have come loose if that's the problem but i'm just wandering if anyone else has experienced this and if so - what the potential solution may be.

Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It may be a graphics card problem. Remove the back off the G5 and reseat the graphics card (remove it from the slot and push back in several times) to see if that clears it up. Let us know.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
lol... I got desperate and looked at my software updates. There was an update for OSX. I downloaded it and now everything is peachy.

Strange strange indeed. Thanks anyway for your help man.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.