Boot Camp partitioning for Windows Problem

Reaction score
When I try to partition my MacBook (5 GB to Windows), after a minute it says "The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." I do not know why it is saying this and I do not want to have to go through the trouble of moving everything. Any solutions or answers?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
BootCamp is not able to function unless the drive is a single partition. If it is not, and you want to use BootCamp, doing as it says is the remaining option

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That error message is a bit deceiving. I believe what it's telling you is that there are files that can not be moved in order to create the contiguous space required for Boot Camp to create the partition.

You have two choices: Reinstall everything or use a third party application which can move the files for you. In other words, defragment your drive.

"iDefrag" is one such application and it's a bargain at $34.95. Link

They also offer a trial version you can try before buying.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I received a bootcamp error once saying that some files could not be moved. I got onyx, which is a free utility and rain the daily, weekly, and monthly scripts. After that, bootcamp worked like a charm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Do a full disk repair by booting up from your OS X DVD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
what do the scripts do? do i need to back up my stuff first?

As I replied to you previously, your disk is fragmented. Running scripts is not going to work. You would either have to completely reinstall or run a third party utility which can defragment the disk so you have enough contiguous free space in order for Boot Camp to work.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Reaction score

I have the same error message--"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again." --and I've heard the same advice on how to fix it-Doing a full disk repair by booting with the install disk.

My question is, should I back up my hard drive before doing so/will it delete all my stuff?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.