Just got a New Mac - a bit frustrated

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OK...but the point is it's a completely different system of doing things.
Why not be able to readily maximize you window? Because a Mac is designed to make the best use of space in a single click.
Why not include a backspace key? I'm guessing you mean a delete key? It means one less key on the keyboard which can be used for something else and it isn't that difficult to press fn + backspace.
Why not close programs when you select the close button? Again, a fundamental difference between Mac and Windows. This all relates to the way that the OS X operating system works. You don't have task bars so when you are multitasking you don't need to get rid of windows or worry about clogging up your task bar. You simply leave the program running 'bare' and it's all ready to go when you next need it.
Why is finder so unintuitive? Because everybody uses Windows Explorer as a benchmark. Again - different systems.

I don't see these things as far superior. I see them as useful in an OS like XP but not in one like OS X which is designed around a single click mouse and your other hand being on the keyboard running shortcuts and commands.

You do have to approach switching with an open mind as both systems are completely different and you have to relearn how to use a personal computer.

Don't feed the trolls, thanks. :)

The idea behind this thread was to help the OP with getting acclimated to the Mac - not to create YAWVMT (Yet Another Windows Versus Mac Thread).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Wow, memories ! I was the OP a few months ago for some of the same reasons he listed his woes. But now.. I'm a lot more in tune with how OS X works, compared to Linux (or Windows which I haven't used for about 3+years).

And every let's say.. month (because day isn't realistic) I learn a few new little things which help me along. I spend more time being productive with OS X, than I ever did with Linux (because with Linux, I was always looking for THE program which worked without having to hack this or that.. ) or with Windows for that matter (because most of my time in Windows was spent doing spyware-adware-virus scans etc).

Hang in there.. have patience, TRUST ME. I was a raving (and ranting) idiot when I joined this forum because I thought that everything should work the way that Linux does... And to be honest, there are still things which I think work better for certain situations in Linux, but when you simply learn how to deal w/the differences, you will start working, and stop nitpicking the things you thought were stupid.

One of the first things I learned which made my life in OS X SO much easier was this simple trick to switch between apps:

cmd+tab+option (alt). While holding down cmd (never take your finger off of it) you can toggle between apps to either quit them, or switch to them. To switch to them, hold cmd, press tab until you get to the desired app, then while still holding cmd, let go of tab and hit the option key (alt) and THEN let go of the cmd key. Now you don't have to go down to the dock anymore. And to quit any app, just cmd tab and hit q while on said app, and it quits.

Next: Be SURE to set up expose and screen corners from preferences. You can do this to your liking. My wife hates the way my side of it is set up, but that's because she doesn't multi-task. She accidentally drags the cursor into a corner and all 4 screens will pop up, and she gets frustrated :) (that's when I tell er' to sign into her user account and leave mine alone)

While I'm kind of with you on the whole screen maximizing thing, it's not the end of the world. The screen should retain its size after you drag the corner out and re size it manually. I have my corners set up so that when I drag the mouse cursor to the bottom right corner of my screen, any app which is sitting on the desktop (re; not minimized to the dock) will become apparent, and I can then click on whatever app I want to work with. It's kind of like alt_tabbing or like the above method I use, but altered a bit differently. I use both depending on the situation.

As far as closing apps when hitting the rex "x" goes.. I never understood the logic either. Some people say that because the actual app is still open, it doesn't take as long to open a new window, opposed to if the app were quit. I haven't really seen any proof that this claim is true. I honestly think that it's just Apple's way of "being different" and putting a patent on something just for the sake of not being Windows. That said, it's no big deal really. It doesn't hurt anything. I always cmd+q my programs when I'm really done anyway.

Oh, and to open a new window with an already open app (this goes for finder windows too) just click on cmd+n (the n stands for new). So if you've clicked on your desktop and then click cmd+n a finder window opens. And I believe that you can set finder to open to which ever default directory you choose. So this technique goes for any app which you currently have open.

For instance, say I close my main Firefox window, (I hate Safari. It is NOT faster than FF for me) while the window may be closed, I'll still see the menu tab up on top. (And if it's not there, remember to cmd+tab until you get to the app, then hit alt and let go of cmd, now it's there) So now I just hit cmd+n and a new window opens. It's like this for any program you've got open.

Keyboard shortcuts are your friend. I forget where, and hope that someone posts it here, but, there area list of keyboard shortcuts somewhere. SO many keyboard shortcut commands, which make things so much faster to do.

On to photography:

I dabble in photography too, and the first thing you should do is forget the name iPhoto. It was not made for photographers. It was made for very casual use and NOT for heavy volumes of photos. Ditch it, right now.

I've played with Aperture (2), as well as Lightroom 2, Bridge and Photoshop. After a short period of time, I knew that I didn't like Aperture because it was slow and kludgy. It also has other issues as far as RAW converting and things, but that's another story.

I like Lightroom 2 for its DAM capabilities (Digital asset management) wikipedia on DAM. It's able to organize and edit photos with the ACR engine and integrates with PS very well. HOWEVER.. I actually like Adobe Bridge a LOT more than Lightroom 2 for organization. And Bridge comes with ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) where you do your initial editing until it's ready for final touch up's and printing in Photo Shop.

The thing about Lightroom though, is that since ACR is built into it, you don't have to open a separate module, like you do with Bridge. But on the other hand, opening a pic in ACR from bridge is as simple as cmd+r and takes 1 second. I also believe that the actual ACR module has a few more options opposed to the integrated engine which is used in Lightroom.

I also reeeeally like the sorting filters that Bridge uses. Lightroom enables you to look for photos based on certain filters as well, such as aperture, shutter speed, date, ISO rating and the lens you used.. BUT.. Bridge has more of these kinds of filters, and the one missing one in LR, which I'd love to see, is sorting by focal length. You can actually add this filter manually I believe, but it's something that seems to be a very extensive and not even fully operational process.

I'm still assessing these programs and trying to figure out which software combination is best for my workflow preferences, but tend to use Bridge and ACR a lot.

There's a LOT to learn. I've been in your shoes and understand the frustration. Ask my wife how many times I've almost thrown the MBP out our window, screaming like a lunatic "WHY WON'T THIS ****ED THING WORK RIGHT !" ( "right" meaning the way I was used to it working) There's a learning curve with every thing, and nothing is perfect. Also remember that in a perfect world, things would work exactly as you see them working in your head, but this isn't reality. We DO have to admit that there are compromises we need to make in order move forward rather than wonder why all the time, and remain stagnant.

And while I can fully appreciate the following:
I asked very similar questions as you when I switched and got the same zen-like responses "let go of window's ways and your Mac will set you free".

No one wants to admit that there are functions in Windows (at least XP, don't know about Vista) that are superior over Macs. Why not be able to readily maximize your window? Why not include a backspace key?? Why not close programs when you select the close button? Why is finder so unintuitive?

you should ignore the sarcastic "zen-like" remarks, and focus on the fact that it's not that there are functions in Windows or Linux which are superior to the way some things function in OS X, but that they operate differently and you just have to LEARN the why's, how's, what's etc.. etc..

I'm sure I could go on and on, but I won't. Ron and Fez are on and I have to get ready to go out and shoot with my 50mm. (Um.. f1.8 Nikkor lens that is.. don't call the cops ! :) )

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Is it really impossible to get the green light or some other command to open to FULL Screen?

One of the biggest pet peeves of new Mac Users. Some programs, like Firefox and I think iPhoto 09, will fill the screen when you hit the plus sign in the window, but most apps will only open big enough to show you the maximum contents of the window without the need for scroll bars. There are some plug-ins for some apps that will make them open full screen, and perhaps some day Apple will add this feature in a future version of the OS, but for now, you'll just have to drag the bottom right corner of the window to the size you want. Some apps have a "Full Screen" option under the "View" or "Window" menu. As others have mentioned, if you don't want to be distracted by the clutter of your other open windows behind the one you're working in, choose "Hide Others" from the active app's menu. It's just one of those little differences between OS's, but at least the app will remember window size and placement the next time you open it.

How come when I open photoshop I can still see my desktop?

I don't use Photoshop, but I imagine it works the same way as other apps... it will only open up big enough for you to see the maximum number of contents and no more, leaving the desktop visible.

How come when I click on some apps in the dock they DONT open.. but show active? The title bar says the new program but I am really in the same program i wanted to leave?

Those apps ARE open, but you need to open new windows for them from the "File" menu. Closing a window does NOT close the program, so even if a window isn't visible, the app is still up and running. If you want to close an app, you have to actually choose "Quit" from the "File" menu, or use the shortcut, Command-Q. Also, a little indicator light will appear beneath all open applications in the Dock, even if they are hidden at the moment.

Sometimes it is not that easy to switch aps either.

Switching between apps is easy; just use the shortcut Command-Tab. This will bring up an row of icons for all open apps, just keep hitting Tab (while still holding down the Command key) to cycle through them. This is also another way to tell which apps are open even if you can't see them all. (You can also quit apps from here by using tab to select the app you want to close and then, keeping one finger on the Command key, hit Q.) Or you can hit the Expose button (F3) and all your open windows will spread out across the desktop, then you can click on the one you want. You can change the way Expose works in System Preferences. Play around with it to find a setup that works best for you.

If you have more than one window open for an app (such as multiple Firefox windows), use Command-` to cycle through all windows within the same app.

When I open photo preview and go to Open I have a list of photos in a certain file but it only list the name and date.. how do I get the size also?

Go to the "Tools" menu and choose "Inspector", and a HUD will appear showing you all kinds of information about the document you're viewing (size, dimensions, duration, file type, etc).

and in Firefox with my RSS Feeds..in Windows I could right click on any topic in the list and open it in a new tab but now it seems i have to open the new tab first.. is there a short cut?

Afraid I can't help you here, as I don't deal with RSS feeds.

and do most people use iphoto to organise their photos? I saw another thread about this and it got me thinking about if Iphoto was to basic.. so far seems fine to me.. as nothing is organised to much yet.. So much to learn!

While iPhoto is rather basic compared to a lot of other programs as far as editing photos goes, it has a lot of features that should make it easy to find and organize photos. First, it sorts them by date taken into groups called "Events". From there, you can create albums and drag the pictures you want into them and organize them however you want. The '09 version has a cool face recognition feature that could, in theory, automatically help organize photos by who is in them. And of course, you can always tag your photos. I recommend taking the time to view the video tutorials at apple.com.

Remember that you've only been using your Mac for a couple of months after years of using Windows. Your Mac isn't going to suddenly do everything for you... it's an entirely different operating system that you'll need to take some time to learn. Don't get frustrated; finding ways to work around things and learning new tricks and shortcuts is part of the fun.

Reaction score
When you are in Photoshop, hit "F" (letter F, not a command key at the top). It will toggle your artwork into fullscreen and make the desktop disappear. You even get a choice between grey or black. Bingo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Oh, and no offense, but you often seem really frustrated in your posts about things that you already possess the solutions to. There's a folder of User Guides under Macintosh HD in your finder which explain the basics of Leopard, Stacks and other basic features. In addition, most apps have their own user guides under their individual "Help" menus.

If you need more information, there are plenty of Leopard and iLife video tutorials here

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

here

Apple - iLife - Find out how to use iLife applications on the Mac.

and here

Apple - Business - Theater

If you want to delve further, THEN go out and buy a book that goes into more detail. But most everything you need to find solutions is within your grasp... take a breath and take some time to pull up the User Guides and have your Mac ready to try out what you learn, because only by doing it will you learn.

Of course, not everything is explained in the tutorials and guides, and that's what this forum is for. Hope this gets you on the right track.

Reaction score

I switched to Mac this past week, and the Photoshop thing freaked me out at first, too. I really thought that the installation went wrong, but then found mention of the "missing desktop" in this forum. There are many ways to work in Photoshop, but I find that most of the time I'm not viewing an image in full-screen, but instead have several images open in reduced sizes, and that means that the desktop, or lack of it, is plain to see. It's disorienting to be sure, but we'll get used to it. It might be best to avoid busy wallpaper images though! ;D

Reaction score
Hi i just got a new imac and I am very frustrated it is a powerpc 2ghz 1.5gb g5 leopard installed and some applications i cant open because i dont have the right architecture my understanding of this is the application I'm trying to open stupidly is only for intel based mac's is there any way of changing the applications architecture to powerpc so i can run it or any other way i can get around this any help would be much appreciated thank you best regards.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Okay for the Photoshop thing with the desktop still showing. I find this cool because I can just drag and drop images from the desktop into Photoshop.

If you want it to be like Windows then just press the "F" key to toggle the different views.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, OS X 10.4
Hi i just got a new imac and I am very frustrated it is a powerpc 2ghz 1.5gb g5 leopard installed and some applications i cant open because i dont have the right architecture my understanding of this is the application I'm trying to open stupidly is only for intel based mac's is there any way of changing the applications architecture to powerpc so i can run it or any other way i can get around this any help would be much appreciated thank you best regards.

Unfortunately, no. Intel applications only run on Intel machines. However, there may be some older version of the software you're trying to run that support PowerPC.

Reaction score
Expatgirl.... I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was in the same position as you when I bought my first Mac (book) in December. Pulling out hair was a daily ritual because I am not a computer whiz by any stretch of the imagination; so you can imagine my frustration at learning & adapting to a entirely new system straight out of the box with no hardcopy training manual from which to reference. But all I can say is to just stick with it... learn in baby steps and eventually you will get it. And when you do your MAC will become your best friend. I was a PC user for more than 10 years; I'll never go back!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Is it really impossible to get the green light or some other command to open to FULL Screen?

One of the biggest pet peeves of new Mac Users. Some programs, like Firefox and I think iPhoto 09, will fill the screen when you hit the plus sign in the window, but most apps will only open big enough to show you the maximum contents of the window without the need for scroll bars. There are some plug-ins for some apps that will make them open full screen, and perhaps some day Apple will add this feature in a future version of the OS, but for now, you'll just have to drag the bottom right corner of the window to the size you want. Some apps have a "Full Screen" option under the "View" or "Window" menu. As others have mentioned, if you don't want to be distracted by the clutter of your other open windows behind the one you're working in, choose "Hide Others" from the active app's menu. It's just one of those little differences between OS's, but at least the app will remember window size and placement the next time you open it.

I'd also point out that's intentional. Windows users tend to stick to one or two apps and swap between them. OS X takes cues from creative professionals who are constantly switching and changing apps. They also need to see windows from one app whilst working in another.

I don't use Photoshop, but I imagine it works the same way as other apps... it will only open up big enough for you to see the maximum number of contents and no more, leaving the desktop visible.

Same as above. The desktop is visible, but you may have a window open in Illustrator that you need for reference and for easy swapping.

It all makes sense if you get out of the rigid Windows mentality.

Go with the flow and explore Expose too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Not being particularly helpful, but it always seems that the more familiar someone is with Windows, the more of these frustrations they'll experience when they switch.

A user who has never used a computer before will find OSX makes perfect sense. A die hard Windows admin, which is what I was when I first bought a Mac will spend a year swinging between total bewilderment and apoplectic rage before they get used to it.

Eventually, you'll get it. Then you'll start jumping into threads and telling Windows users that it'll all be ok. Er . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Hi I have the new macbook aluminium 2.4
I know I made the right decision to switch but am frustrated quite often. I am PC saavy so it is not that I am new to computers...

I have been enjoying this forum as I never realized that so many mac users were PC users before..
I thought Mac users were mac users from the beginning.

Ok my questions:

How come when I click on some apps in the dock they DONT open.. but show active? The title bar says the new program but I am really in the same program i wanted to leave?

Sometimes it is not that easy to switch aps either.

When I open photo preview and go to Open I have a list of photos in a certain file but it only list the name and date.. how do I get the size also?

and in Firefox with my RSS Feeds..in Windows I could right click on any topic in the list and open it in a new tab but now it seems i have to open the new tab first.. is there a short cut?

and do most people use iphoto to organise their photos? I saw another thread about this and it got me thinking about if Iphoto was to basic.. so far seems fine to me.. as nothing is organised to much yet.. So much to learn!

Thank you so much !!!

expatgirl

I've been a Macintosh user my whole life (since I was 2). As the person who has been right all along (as my friends who have made the switch like to call me), I can assure you it gets better. Especially if you have a forum full of experienced users to help you out. My dad was always my tech consultant as I was learning various new things throughout the classic OS builds and OS X in the beginning. My knowledge of the systems quickly outgrew his though as I mastered them. Classic OSs were a bit more like Windows... in that they were less easy to use and had many fewer features and a limited tech build. OS X is a beautiful pet kitten that I've watched grow into a full grown leopard (haha).

Anyway,
1. Do you mean in QuickTime it won't let you fullscreen? Or do you mean you don't know what the hotkeys to open to fullscreen are in your video playback apps? cmmd+F for quicktime, or cmmd+0 or other hot-key commands to various programs. (I may be out of date with this, since I've missed out on most of leopard - running Tiger right now on this eMac, and only played lightly in leopard on my dad's mac mini since I blew my G5's logic board 2 days after installing leopard). I believe Quicktime doesn't let you fullscreen unless you upgrade to the pro version (which cheeses me off when they decided to block that feature), unless I'm totally wrong and they repealed that.

2. Because photoshop isn't a fullscreen app. Windows really loved their fullscreen apps, but photoshop has always been that way on Mac. You can enlarge the image you're working on with the usual click and drag technique.

3. Probably a bug, it happens here sometimes too, but usually only when my RAM is overloaded. I think I've experienced this, though. Usually clicking the icon again brings the rest forward to me.

4. [edit]ignore what I had said about quicksilver... don't get it yet.[/edit]

firefox question: you should be able to right click and say "open link in new tab." If you can't, then you should probably switch to safari, because it is an option in safari's right click menu. You can set a right click area in the system prefs. I don't have my new aluminum MacBook yet, so I don't know, but does anybody know if you can set click areas with tap to click enabled also?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. Do you mean in QuickTime it won't let you fullscreen? Or do you mean you don't know what the hotkeys to open to fullscreen are in your video playback apps?

I think she's referring to the fact that the green "+" button that appears in every app window doesn't work like the "Maximize" button in Windows programs. The green button will only do that if the window actually contains enough content to fill a screen. This is in all Mac apps, but most video apps have a "Full Screen" option under the "View" menu (or you can double-click the screen). The rest, you have to drag the bottom right corner of the window.

3. Probably a bug, it happens here sometimes too, but usually only when my RAM is overloaded. I think I've experienced this, though. Usually clicking the icon again brings the rest forward to me.

It sounds like she closed a window thinking it would close the app as well, then chose the app again expecting it to open up a new window. When she clicked the app in the dock, the app name appeared in the menu bar because it was already open, but no new window opened (the way it would have if she was actually relaunching). You'd have to choose "New" from the file menu to get a new window. This is usually one of the hardest things for longtime Windows users to get used to. I was expecting that hitting the red "X" would close the program, and eventually I realized that I had all these open apps without a single window visible. It sounds like she closed her app windows but didn't actually quit them.

Personally, even though Quicksilver is a great tool, I wouldn't recommend it to someone so new to Mac OS until they're already proficient in these basic things. I think it would only cause more confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
1. Do you mean in QuickTime it won't let you fullscreen? Or do you mean you don't know what the hotkeys to open to fullscreen are in your video playback apps?

I think she's referring to the fact that the green "+" button that appears in every app window doesn't work like the "Maximize" button in Windows programs. The green button will only do that if the window actually contains enough content to fill a screen. This is in all Mac apps, but most video apps have a "Full Screen" option under the "View" menu (or you can double-click the screen). The rest, you have to drag the bottom right corner of the window.

It sounds like she closed a window thinking it would close the app as well, then chose the app again expecting it to open up a new window. When she clicked the app in the dock, the app name appeared in the menu bar because it was already open, but no new window opened (the way it would have if she was actually relaunching). You'd have to choose "New" from the file menu to get a new window. This is usually one of the hardest things for longtime Windows users to get used to. I was expecting that hitting the red "X" would close the program, and eventually I realized that I had all these open apps without a single window visible. It sounds like she closed her app windows but didn't actually quit them.

Personally, even though Quicksilver is a great tool, I wouldn't recommend it to someone so new to Mac OS until they're already proficient in these basic things. I think it would only cause more confusion.

Oh, yea, I get it now. And I wouldn't recommend Quicksilver for a while yet either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Okay, I've seen a number of answers to the question about Photoshop.
None of them have been close, but none have really hit the nail on the head.
The real reason why Photoshop looks the way it does on a Mac can be found in this post: CS2 Background Question

Reaction score
This has been a interesting thread for me, as it is the first one that has had people trying to explain the reasoning behind why Leopard operates the way it does.

I agree with some of the comments about other os's having a better way of doing something, but it is like trying to talk politics with a die hard member of the opposite party. some of the folks here are not interested in hearing such heresy.

I think a good ruler for comparison is how many steps or clicks etc. it takes to do something. One of my gripes about Windows is that with every new version it seems to take more steps to do the same thing than it did in the previous version.

I would like to see more customization options of the os to allow folks to operate as they wish, I.E. full screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I know there's some kind of rationale behind it, but it doesn't really make sense NOT to have a quicker way to fully maximize a window (if you wanted to). Maybe we'll see that in a future version, but this is the way it's been for so long that I kinda doubt it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.