Sound card question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Is there any way at all to substitute a better soundcard for the existing one in the iBook? I've noticed on several occasions that it's not capable of handling all of my songs properly. I get better quality through my iPod earbuds than on a nice system hooked up to the iBook. I get distortion on certain songs, and it gets kindof tiring after awhile, especially since this computer is otherwise state of the art. It's not as if distortion in songs is an overall thing, or I hear it anywhere but in a few songs, but ideally, ALL of my songs should play properly. Could this be simply an error? Nothing else is wrong except this, so I doubt it. Is there anything I can do, or will I just have to live with not-that-great quality sound?

M

meltbanana314

I don't think anything beside the hard drive, memory, and AirPort cards are removable/upgradeable in the iBook. I would expect Apple to soldier the soundcard right onto the mainboard (like they do with the graphics cards.)

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've changed EQ settings several times, but that's worth a shot, good point.

X

xthisisRomancex

also i had a problem where some CD's i would rip or download d]seem to play back alot louder than others and it would get a blasty sound so if you go intopt he system prefs then the audio tab there is a box to check for a "sound check" or something like that. it will then adjust the track volume for each song. and make then equal

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, that's not the issue I'm having, but thanks. Tried EQ. Problem persists. That's so disappointing that Apple installs cheap soundcards in their laptops. :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.