Logic board?

Reaction score
My laptop was doing fine, and suddenly stopped working completely - as in the screen was black and didn't change. It seemed like the monitor was broken because I could turn the computer on and off, and it made sounds like it was turning on, and the capslock key would work... but the screen remained blank. I brought it to the apple store, and they said it was the logic board, and that it would cost $1000 to fix. I am in a country without apple, where they liscence another company to fix and sell apples, and I do not really trust these people. Do these symptoms suggest a logic board problem, or really a monitor problem and they are trying to bill me for the most expensive thing possible? THANKS

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's difficult to say if it is the Logic board, however, if it was the graphics chip that failed (on the Logic board) then the board would have to be replaced. The graphics processor (GPU) is surface mounted on the board. No way to remove it and replace it easily.

In any event, $1000.00 to repair it seems excessive.

Regards.

Reaction score
i have a similar experience on my 07 mbpro and the apple geniuses also told me that it's a common problem on mbpros, I was the nth customer with a broken logic board and from where I live (philippines) apple centers here charge more than $1000. They were able to fix something but it still ended up with a broken monitor and will charge me another $1000 to buy the part. To save the trouble, i just bought a new gen mbpro which is a lot faster, and bought a desktop monitor for my old mbpro, converted it into a desktop machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.