Can I block specific websites on Airport Extreme Base Station?

Reaction score
I have an Airport Extreme Base Station, the newest model until the new model was released this past Tuesday. I have recently installed the new update that Apple just released.
My question. Can I block specific websites such as MySpace | A Place for Friends. I want to be able to block them on all computers on my network including an iPod Touch my son has so this is the reason I prefer to block them through the router instead of on the computer itself. Is there any way I can do this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
On your Wifi router, you can actually add the IP or better yet the MAC address of the iPod touch, from there you can set to block the sites only for the iPod touch - given that the iPod touch is always connected to your own Wifi network. Most of the routers has that feature, you can probably search Google yours.

Hope this helps!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are no settings at the router level to do this with the Apple routers.

They are designed, like most Apple software to handle the chores with not a whole lot of tweaking that can be done. For me, this is the way Apple achieves their "it just works" feel. It's great for the typical Windows user that never learned how to maintain and take care of their computer. Not so good for some of the advanced users, that like to tweak every last little setting.

I see two options. Parental Controls or OpenDNS. With Parental Controls you could block sites on a per computer basis. Wouldn't do anything about the Touch. Open DNS is a great service, even if you don't want a lot of their advanced features. I don't block any sites, but I (and a lot of others) have switched over to their DNS servers instead of using our ISP's.

Here is a quick video tutorial. You can create an account with them and set up specific IP's to block. If you have a dynamic IP address (one that changes) as most of us home users do, they have a widget that can be used in the Dashboard that will automatically keep your IP up to date on their system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.