Right thing to do?

Reaction score
First post and not sure if this us the right place for this topic, so apologies in advance if not.

I bought a unibody Macbook just under 2 weeks ago. On 2nd March I bought a (transparent) Speck cover from my local Apple Store. 2 days later I noticed a mark on through the cover on the front of the MB to the left of the opening catch/area.

When I installed the cover I wiped everything down first so there'd be nothing on the MV or cover that could damage anything.

When I took the Speck cover off there was a "piece" of plastic protruding from it. This had made a small hole/indent in the MB and started to score a vertical line as it the Speck cover had moved during 2 days use.

I rang the Apple store and went to see the Genius guys yesterday.

To be fair they're acknowledged the issue and can see what's happened (nobody has actually apologised yet, which is interesting!).

I didn't buy the MD from the Apple store but from another local electrical retailer.

Now the bit I'd like the advice on is around the proposed resolution to this problem. The issue is purely cosmetic and we are talking a 3 mm scratch (on virtually a brand new piece of kit). Apple have proposed that I make another appointment with them and they'll book it in to replace the damaged part.

Here's the problem, they need to completely dismantle it, replace the unibody and re-assemble it.

My question is around what the fit and finish will be like if the machine is re-assembled in the Apple store and if it's likely to cause any subsequent issues?

You could I say I could live with the problem, but as I didn't cause it and the MB is so new, I don't think I should have to.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
FYou could I say I could live with the problem, but as I didn't cause it and the MB is so new, I don't think I should have to.

But you did cause it. You bought the Speck cover and installed it so although you didn't do it on purpose......you inadvertently caused it.

If Apple is willing to replace your case for you because of this, I don't think you're in *ANY* position to complain.

OP
H
Reaction score
You're right I did buy it and I did install it (as per the instructions).

I just don't think that a manufacturing fault (Apple agree) can be deemed to be my fault. I bought the case in good faith assuming that doing so wouldn't cause me a problem. Ironically it was bought to protect the MB and has had quite the opposite effect - lesson learnt!

Any thoughts on the re-build aspect long term?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
You're right I did buy it and I did install it (as per the instructions).

I just don't think that a manufacturing fault (Apple agree) can be deemed to be my fault. I bought the case in good faith assuming that doing so wouldn't cause me a problem. Ironically it was bought to protect the MB and has had quite the opposite effect - lesson learnt!

Any thoughts on the re-build aspect long term?
I don't think you should have a problem....
After all, it is apple...

OP
H
Reaction score
Cheers & fingers crossed. The only thing concerning me is that it isn't "the factory" and the guy in store told me that a lot of the Geniuses there are quite new/freshly trained.

The main problem with this, assuming no harm done, is the inconvenience of it all.

And the new Brenthaven case that they've sold me to replace the Speck has what look likes blue biro ink on ther white foam padding that is visible through the light blue lining inside. Guess they can replace that whilst there at it.

Suppose I've just been unlucky. This is my first Mac and apart from all of this aggravation I love the new Macbook. This OS is great, intuitive, quick, no decrease in performance as the HDD fills up.

I work in IT and have used/supported DOS/Windows for as long as I can remember, but we will not be having another Windows machine at home.

Reaction score
You are inconveniencing yourself by getting the whole top casing of it removed and put back for a 3mm case. My MacBook has problems too, but they aren't huge (a 3mm scratch is not huge), the sides are a very tiny bit loose, and when there is a large problem, I will get it fixed, it is better to get your product fixed when the inconvenience of not having it fixed is larger than the inconvenience of waiting for it to be fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.