thinking about getting my first mac

Reaction score
Apple MacBook MB466B/A 2GHz, 13.3" Display (Aluminium) - cheap Apple Mac Laptops - Dixons.co.uk

I am in the hunt for a new laptop and am thinking about getting my first mac but am not sure on a couple of things. (See above for model)

1. I want my laptop/mac to be able to play HD content to my projector. As the mac does not have a HDMI output will it still be able to play HD quality content the same as a laptop with an HDMI output if I get a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI lead?

This is crucial as I definetly want to be able to play HD content.

2. I am confused about the above link as it says the macbook has no DVD drive yet it says DVD drive speed is 4x.

Basically can I play my DVD's with this macbook and does it burn DVD's?

3. Is there a new OS coming out from Mac and is it worth holding out for it?

4. Can people give me there genuine thoughts on getting a mac (moving from PC) is it worth the switch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
1 - Can't comment as I don't play any HD videos

2 - The only MacBook that DOESN'T come with a built-in optical media drive is the MB Air.

3 - Snow Leopard is on the horizon, but there is no set release date yet. Buy what you need when you need it otherwise you'll always be waiting for the next best thing.

4 - Definitely worth the switch. I've been using a Mac for almost a year now after switching from Windows and it was one of the best decision I've ever made.

EdH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro(5.1), Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM, 250GB hdd
I have to echo everything Khris said. I am a Windows programmer and work with mostly Mac haters; however, I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience of using a Mac. It is easy to run Windows as well, if you choose. There are numerous posts on this forum, comparing Parallels, Bootcamp, etc. I started with a macbook in the summer and convinced myself that I needed to move up to the new macbook pro after Christmas. Both are excellent machines.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. It's good to hear it has dvd drive.

Does anyone know about the HD issue? As I say this is one of the main things before I buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
carlitos,

I have an older MacBook (late 2007 model) and it plays HD content just fine. That model should definitely be able to play it on your projector, provided you buy the correct adaptor.

That said, does Apple make an adaptor for the MiniDisplay Port to HDMI? All I see on Apple's website are adaptors for DVI and VGA connections.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.66ghz 4GB Ram
I made the switch to mac a few months ago and I couldn't be happier. I also wanted a notebook, I didn't like the aluminum case on the new macbook pros so I went ahead and spent the extra money and had a custom mac built, i wanted the guts of the new macbook pro put inside of last years white macbook case. I also wanted to keep the old gpu for reliability reasons and some custom ram installed. I suggest asking a apple rep right at the store to see what you should get and you can ask them all the questions you need. make sure to tell us what you end up getting, i deff suggest getting hands on with the product before you buy it, just to make sure your satisfied.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.