carrying case for 15" powerbook

L

lorddraco98

I'm looking for suggestions on carrying options for a new 15" powerbook that I'll be getting soon. I'd like a messenger bag or something similar (not a backpack) and then whatever else you guys would reccomend.

we use the cheap targus laptop bags at work to hold the iBooks in and I really don't like them.

OP
M

meltbanana314

This is like the upteenth time I've said this, but I still say:

Don't get a laptop bag/case. It's asking to have your PowerBook stolen. It may not be so important in a professional work environment, but when I take it to do work (fixing people's PCs) downtown, a big Samsonite laptop bag just screams "mug me, please."

I put my PowerBook in a pillowcase, (I'm thinking of getting a Marware Sleeve) then in a backpack - and everyone assumes that I just have worthless term papers and failed tests in there.

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

meltbanana314 said:
This is like the upteenth time I've said this, but I still say:

Don't get a laptop bag/case. It's asking to have your PowerBook stolen. It may not be so important in a professional work environment, but when I take it to do work (fixing people's PCs) downtown, a big Samsonite laptop bag just screams "mug me, please."

I put my PowerBook in a pillowcase, (I'm thinking of getting a Marware Sleeve) then in a backpack - and everyone assumes that I just have worthless term papers and failed tests in there.

while your pillowcase in-a-backpack idea might help save you from a mugging, its sure not doing anything to prolong the life if your mac.

OP
M

meltbanana314

MichaelSullivan said:
while your pillowcase in-a-backpack idea might help save you from a mugging, its sure not doing anything to prolong the life if your mac.

I don't keep my soda in the same backpack, if that's what you're thinking. Apple notebooks are a lot tougher than most people give them credit for, including Mac enthuisasts. My PowerBook is perfectly fine in my backpack - I don't have to coddle it and put it in a $300 case. The pillowcase keeps debris from getting into the ports on the side and under the lid - and the backpack saves me from back problems that I would have if using a shoulder bag (I do carry a lot of paperwork and notebooks with me, so my backpack is heaver than the 4.6lbs that the PowerBook takes up.)

OP
M

MichaelSullivan

I use a $40 Swiss Army CS2 sleeve to protect my laptops, not a $300 case-don't be so extreme. Encouraging people to protect a $2000 investment in a pillowcase is simply absurd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
I use a Timbuktu messenger bag for mine. Nobody has a clue that it's a laptop bag, and it does a great job carrying all of my books and various laptop peripherals. While the pillow case idea is cute, it's completely out of the question for my 15" Powerbook. Mine has taken a fall inside the bag, and the padded bag saved its life. It would have been dead had it been in a backpack.

OP
L

lorddraco98

Osiris22x said:
I use a Timbuktu messenger bag for mine. Nobody has a clue that it's a laptop bag, and it does a great job carrying all of my books and various laptop peripherals. While the pillow case idea is cute, it's completely out of the question for my 15" Powerbook. Mine has taken a fall inside the bag, and the padded bag saved its life. It would have been dead had it been in a backpack.
do you have a link to their website? I searched around and can't seem to find it anywhere

OP
M

menace3054

i bought a laptop backback from spire. I think their site is http://www.spireusa.com their products are a little pricy (i paid 160 for my pack), but the protection is 2nd to none. definately give them a look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.4Ghz, 4GB ram, 160Gig hd, superdrive
i just purchased a sleve for my powerbook.. i got it at my local Compusa store.. i haven't had time to see how it holds but it seemed like a good deal.. it was $25...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.