Mac G5 USBs won't work

Reaction score
Hey, I have a Mac G5 at my house and yesterday, when I had downloaded XCode, it asked me to restart the computer. So I hit 'Yes Restart,' or whatever it said, and it did. When it turned back on, every USB port that goes into the computer stopped working. For some reason it only works partial way through start-up [I found out after multiple turning on-offs and going through all the plugs to make sure they were in]. It was working fine until that restart. When I hold the on button and get to that Mac start up, the keyboard has enough power, and it shows it's on, but when I type mac-boot or shut-down, no matter what, it turns the USBs off after that point. Any idea what to do? :Not-Amused:
Also, not sure if it should be iMac or eMac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1226 w/4Gb of RAM
Sounds like its a Software FUBAR.

You have the capabilities of turning caps lock, numlock, etc on and off before your computer fully boots into OSX?

Try this:

Turn your computer completely off turn it on tapping the caps lock button. Tell us when the light quits turning on and off as you push it.

--Garrett

OP
E
Reaction score
It comes on about 2 to 3 seconds before the screen becomes light. It doesn't constantly go on and off as I hit it, but it just waits until about 2 to 3 seconds after the screen is light and it all shuts off [all usbs].

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*
Hey, I have a Mac G5 at my house and yesterday, when I had downloaded XCode, it asked me to restart the computer. So I hit 'Yes Restart,' or whatever it said, and it did. When it turned back on, every USB port that goes into the computer stopped working. For some reason it only works partial way through start-up [I found out after multiple turning on-offs and going through all the plugs to make sure they were in]. It was working fine until that restart. When I hold the on button and get to that Mac start up, the keyboard has enough power, and it shows it's on, but when I type mac-boot or shut-down, no matter what, it turns the USBs off after that point. Any idea what to do? :Not-Amused:
Also, not sure if it should be iMac or eMac...[/QUO

First I understand you have limited use of keyboard but when you say " I type mac-boot or shut-down" are you in open firmware? If so this process is being done by holding down simoutaneously, O,F,Option,Command until you reach firmware screen. At that point type: reset-nvram press enter then type reset-all and enter. At this point your computer will restart. This should repair ports. If not I feel software maybe corrupt and always resort to install disk. Hold option at start up to enter boot menu, open disk tray, insert disk and in a few seconds should show on screen, select osx disk to start from there. Enter disk utility (top file bar) and try to repair permissions. If you can't you may have to reinstall osx you should not lose saved info as long as you do not choose erase and install. Let me know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.