How can I auto-correct my typing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
4GHx Intel Core2 Quad 4GB Ram Version 10.5.5
Hi,

I have been doing a lot of emailing lately and there are a handful of typo's that I repeatedly make (For example "Marl" instead of "Mark" and "BAbe" instead of "Babe").
I was wondering if there is some way of telling the mac that when I type the former, I mean to type the latter and getting it to automatically correct it for me?
I don't know if Word, TextEdit and Mail all use the same dictionary and spell check? I assume they do.
Primarily, I would like it to auto correct when using Mail though!

I seem to remember being able to do this on the PC, but have long forgotten how!

Help would be appreciated!

Marl, er, Mark.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
Hi there marl, errmm, mark!
I did at one point look into this matter further a long time ago. Problem was, I found nothing. I don't think there is a auto correct function prebuilt into 'mail' but my friend has an app on his mac that allows you to have that function in any system app. I'm afraid I've forgoten the name though. Try googling for it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac, macbook, iphone4S, ipad2
Hi Mate,

This can be done with a nifty little programme called 'Type it for me' which not only auto-corrects but also allows you to set abbreviations which it will expand e.g. you can type 'Addr' and have it expand this to your full address. Pretty cool huh.

You can get it at:
About TypeIt4Me

Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I haven't tried it myself but cocoaspell seems to be promising.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.