Will this ram work in MDD 1.25x2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4 MDD
I had a crucial stick go out on me and I just want to upgrade to a different pair of ram. I was thinking Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PT 2GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Memory w/Platinum Heat Spreader. I think it is a decent deal since it already has the heat spreaders and I'll get $25 back in a rebate. If there are any other sets with heat spreaders that are good brands that will work I'm open for ideas. My MDD runs about as hot as a space heater so I want to make sure the ram doesn't overheat (might have been the reason the crucial stick died). I'm running CHUD ~40-45C with light usage but it will cook 55C+ when using iMovie and really intensive applications. I have replaced all the heatsinks thermal paste with artic silver and put a zalman cooler on my ATI Radeon 9800. Since the ram is in the middle of all that heat I really want to get some ram that will help shed heat. Also wondering if it would be a better route to get the ram coolers separately. Any other ideas on how to keep heat down in the case would be appreciated. Here is the link for the ram I am thinking about Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PT 2GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Memory Retail at ZipZoomfly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Compare memory with this from OWC and then shop around:-

Memory Upgrades for your Apple PowerMac G4 "Mirrored Drive Doors" 2x1.25GHz at OtherWorldComputing.com

Never have bothered with memory heatsinks and are you running CHUD version 3.5.2 which is the correct version for our machines? Summer here down under and with Nap selected in System preferences FW800 runs at 38.7 C.

It is necessary to go into System Preferences after each and every startup and sleep and re-select Nap mode as it does deactivate. There have been many problems with MDD and 9800 cards with the fan units failing causing overheating. Go and look this up in Apple Discussions.

Have installed a PCI extracting cooling fan, and a HDD cooling fan in my FW800 which seems to help in the heat battle. Also it is vital you clean the machine thoroughly every couple of months with particular attention to the inlet area behind the front leg and around the 'Buick' beauty spots.

OP
Plurr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am running CHUD 3.5.2 and I have an script that starts it every time I run my computer. The inside of the case is very clean and I think it may run hot because I have 3 hard drives loaded into it. I have 80gb for the os, 750gb for media and a 300gb for time machine. I have actually wedged a fan between the back of the case and the heat sink to try to exhaust more air out. I have tried the PCI slot coolers and they really do not move enough air to make me happy (plus this is above the video card where heat is not as much of an issue). The reason I ask if I can get this ram and have it work is because since the MDD mounts the video card upside down, the zalman cooler for my 9800 covers one of the memory slots, so I want to try to run a pair of 1gb sticks to max it out instead of 4 512 sticks. I was wanting the heat spread ram so I don't run into a problem of roasting more ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The two 1GB modules will work no problem. Avoided the 9800 heat problems by installing a 9600 PC/Mac Pro video card with 256MB VRAM which has no fan unit, is cool and silent. If you are a heavy gamer no doubt the b9800 is essential.

The three hard drives will compound the problem. Installed a SATA PCI card and a SATA large HDD to overcome this heat and HDD size problem and use external drive for backup with SuperDuper.

Have read in Apple Discussions the script for Nap mode is not that successful and it may be the better option is to set manually. Think 45 C is too hot for your northern winter?

OP
Plurr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought the 9800 a while back and had it fail with banding, I let it sit and eventually played with the heat sink and it came back to life. I had a little trouble with it after that but then upgraded the heat sink to this
VF700-AlCu%20LED_04_m(0).jpg
and that saved it and it runs like a champ ever since. The fan is pretty much silent, but you know that these machines are not! I run separate hard drives because I want the OS to be pretty much free of all the media when editing so it is not running the program and searching for media on the same drive at the same time. Also I have had my share of dead hard drives so I made my 300GB dedicated time machine. I have the SATA PCI card more for eSATA function for my external, I have an iomega 750gb, maybe I'll just partition part of it and use it for time machine. I'll have to check into the script problem you mentioned. It seems to start up and run just fine and I can hear the fans whine a little when CHUD kicks in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tell me Plurr do you use Temperature Monitor to ascertain the CPU etc temperatures. I can start the utility and when my FW800 gets up to say 50 degrees as it is still hot down under, a week after summer, go into System Preferences and select CHUD 3.5.2 Nap mode, hear the fans change and watch the temperature start to fall back down into the mid 30's.

Is there anyway you can temporarily remove the script and run manually and note the changes when Nap is selected manually, and then using the script?

Here is some interesting reading on CHUD 3.5.2. Note the link to the script to run at boot is no longer active for some reason or other:-

MDD owner Feedback on CHUD Tools Nap mode for cooler CPUs

OP
Plurr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can try the different ways for running CHUD for you, right now it is about 38.7C running normally for around 12 hrs (internet, itunes, other normal tasks). Room temp is 24.4C right now, and this is with the script automatically starting CHUD at startup. I'll let you know how it does without the script when I get it going tomorrow. I use temperature monitor to view temperatures of the processor and hard drives.

OP
Plurr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
when manually starting CHUD I get 34.9C at room temp at 21.1C

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For some comparison, started my FW800 and did maintenance programs without CHUD and temperature got up to 54 degrees CPU B using Temperature Monitor.

Activated CHUD v.3.5.2 through System Preferences selecting Nap mode, fans started up and temperature dropped down to 35.1 degrees and the current room air temperature is 28 degrees. Do you hear the change in the pitch of the fans when activated and is it the same as the automatic script?

No doubt this program works quite well.

OP
Plurr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I ended up getting the Patriot PC3200 low latency 2gb (2 x 1gb) kit with built in heat spreaders (PDC2G3200LLK). They have lifetime warranty on everything and this matched pair of low latency ram seems to run faster than my previous setup using 2gb. I bought it at fry's ~$80 and it has a $10 rebate. I tried OWC first and they wouldn't give me a recommendation on anything so I just went with Patriot since I have had good luck with them before. Thanks for the help harryb2448. System today is running at 37.4C after ram change and being up for a couple hours w/ manual CHUD activation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.