windows keyboard - screen cap trouble

Reaction score
hi everyone,

I have a feeling I have basic issues...but I need your help!

I have both windows and mac keyboards, with the windows one working right now.

I'm trying to do a set of screen captures with a (relatively old) mac mini. I can use the Grab utility, but it seems to expand the caps and have them in b&w.

I guess what I would love to know is:

a) are there commands I can use on the windows keyboard to capture the screen (without remapping keys)

or b) how do I switch my wireless keyboard over to my mac keyboard? (ok, I know that's a really rookie question...but that's where I'm at!) I know it has something to do with pressing the button on the bottom of the keyboard, but that's the extent of my knowledge!

thanks in advance!
peanut

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
OK, so,you have 2 keyboards. The Windows one should have a button which says 'Print Screen' or 'Prt Scr' (for short.) I dont think that button works on Mac though.

With the new Macs, the keyboard controls are 'cmd-shift-3' and 'cmd-shift-4'.

Hope this helps!

OP
P
Reaction score
yes, thanks!

the Print Screen won't work on the Mac (just searching to see if there are windows keys that will actually work on my mac).

if not, I just need to know how to get my mac to recognize my mac keyboard, instead of the windows one working right now!

thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's OK!
You say your Mac keyboard is wireless, if you want your Mac to recognise it, go to System Preferences and click on 'Keyboard and Mouse.' Then Click on Bluetooth at the top. Then click on 'Set up New Device' right in the bottom right hand corner. Follow the on-screen instuctions!!

Good Luck

Oh, and make sure that the Mac keyboard is switched on and has fresh batteries!!

OP
P
Reaction score
oh thank you!

I love that it sounds so simple. My problem now is that my computer is so old (10.3.9) that I don't even have the option of bluetooth. oo, I'm dating myself...or my mac at least. :)

I know, I must get a new computer(!), but any advice in the mean time is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh dear. Oh well. Oh no.
Sorry about that- let's hope some random guy just posts you a new Mac, that'll help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you sure you have no bluetooth? Not at all?

Well, try going to:

Applications --> Utilities

Is there an application called 'Bluetooth File Exchange' in there?
If not, you don't have Bluetooth for sure. Sorry about that!
If there is, you're in GREAT LUCK!

OP
P
Reaction score
drats -- when I open any of the BT icons ...file ex, serial utility or setup assistant, it says 'No Bluetooth Hardware found'.

am I still in any kind of luck?

OP
P
Reaction score
by the way -- thank you very much.

it's 4 years old, which is starting to feel ancient!

OP
P
Reaction score
I know...I need to just get out there and get a new one!

thank you so much for trying to help me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.