Restoring iPod problems

Reaction score
So my brother has a 3rd Gen iPod(I think), the serial number is 8L619LPUSZ9 if that helps you guys figure out which it is....anyways the problem is: iPod not connected to anything, try and turn it on by hitting play button and the apple icon appears then a text in 4 different languages says "iPod needs to be restored, connect to your computer and restore using iTunes"(not verbatim)
But when I connect to iTunes, and begin the restore process the progress bar freezes about halfway through and so does my iTunes, I left it like this for an hour and no progress so I force quit iTunes and restarted my computer, and before I try again I figured I'd ask the mac gurus, any ideas people?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
Which iPod is it?
iPod touch
iPod Shuffle
Nano??

Can you find out??

Anyway, which Operating System are you running?

OP
M
Reaction score
Its a 30gig, not a touch, not a video, but had a color display when it was working...blue progress bar and showed album cover when song was playing. And I have 10.4.whatever the latest update is without having lepord.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think its iPod classic that you're talking about!

Is it one of these? -- iPod Classic

Well, you've certainly got a good Operating System! LOL!
Anyway, yeah, is it a classic?

OP
M
Reaction score
ok, so I've got a 30gig iPod classic that doesn't want to restore. Any ideas? Yes I have the latest version of iTunes, and all other software updates so I don't think its my computer, does apple phase old stuff out so you have to buy new ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, apple doesn't necessarily phase out old stuff, but they don't sell them in the official stores after new versions come out.

How old is the iPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Woah! OK well, for a start - The latest version of iTunes is still compatible with all the versions of iPod Classic so your design hasn't been phased out.

Next, how are you restoring it? Are you just going to iTunes and clicking on the Restore button?
How long has the iPod been like this?

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, in iTunes once its plugged in, a window pops up and says this iPod needs to be restored, so I click ok I enter my password and it starts, but now its just making weird whirrling and clicking noises and is stuck on the bar that has slanted blue and white lines instead of the blue meter. How long does the restore process take? Its been 21min so far...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it really depends on the iPod on how long it would take.
The new ones could take any amount of time from 15-30mins. The older ones, such as your lil' brother owns could take up to 30-40mins depending on the version of iTunes you are running.

The older versions of iTunes would actually be better in your situation, but you still have hope for the new versions, they will still do the job!

OP
M
Reaction score
ya, I live by mac, they've never failed me or my fam, I'm just gonna give it some time, go play some SF4. I'll let you know when I check on it, thanks for all the info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Slanted Blue White lines?
can you take a screen shot of that iTunes window and post it here?

To select an area to take a screenshot, hold down cmd-shift-4. Then click and drag to make a selection where you want it to take a screenshot. It will create an image on your desktop. Then just post another message here and upload the picture for me (if you can?!)
Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macs have never failed me either! They truly are brilliant.

Just like I always say:

If the genius never came up with the name Macintosh, We would be Windows compatible.

Now that would be bad. Very bad.

OP
M
Reaction score
unfortunately its not doing that anymore, the iPod doesn't appear in itunes, and now it has an image of the apple on the iPod itself, still making some clicking sounds. now its going dim and the whirling clicking stops, then it lights up and starts again, about every 10 seconds

OP
M
Reaction score
Should I just plug it into the power adapter rather than my computer, it stop the light/dim cycle for a minute and said please wait very low battery, but now it has started the light/dim again...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.