External HDD Restricted Access

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Is there a way to prevent specific user accounts from mounting an external (FW800) drive without physically removing it?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Hey John, how's your new venture going?

Not a way to prevent it from mounting that I'm aware of.

You can prevent access to the folders on the drive however. Log into that users account. Open the drive in Finder. Select the folder that you want and do a 'Get Info'. Click the lock at the bottom and enter your admin name and password. Under 'Sharing and Permissions' change that user to 'No Access'. You'll have to do this for each user account and folder you want to deny access, but there shouldn't be that many at the root level.

This is for a storage drive, not a backup (ex. SuperDuper!) drive.

The next option makes it a little harder on you, and that is to create an encrypted disk image on the external for storing all your sensitive data.

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Bob! The paid gigs are starting to come in so I'm thankful! Thanks for asking!

Thanks for the advice! Yes, this is storage drive. My Superduper drive is removed from the computer when not in use. I think I'll restrict access to the folders! Thanks!

OP
JohnTheMacGeek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I went and added all accounts and set them to the only option that would prevent them from copying things off of the drive: "Write Only (Drop Box)". It's not perfect, but at least no one else can access it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.