New mini owner having a couple browser issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook (Black), 2.0 GHz Core Duo, 512MB, 80GB, Superdrive
I got my mini a week ago - first Mac I've ever owned so I'm new to all this. I've been lurking here for a while and this seemed like the best place to see if anyone can help me out.

The first issue I've noticed is that on all of my browsers (Safari, IE, Firefox) if a page is loading - or there are animations on a page that's already loading - and I use the mouse to drag the scroll bar down the page everything stops. If the page is loading it stops loading until I release the mouse, or the animations freeze until I release the mouse. Again - this is in all browsers. Is this normal? It doesn't happen if I hit the down arrow and scroll that way.

The bigger problem I've just run into the last couple of days is all of my browsers "unexpectedly" quitting on me quite often. Sometimes they'll all seem to work fine for a while after a reboot but all of a sudden I'll experience the problem.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice - extremely happy and excited about joining the Mac community for the first time.

Reaction score
I have the same issue with the page stopping loading if you are scrolling, it is normal, I never really saw it as a problem, just different.

I have never had my browsers just quit, does it just stop loading webpages or does it crash? It might be a network issues.

T

Tiranis

It prevents from lagging on slower hardware... ;) I believe that this is actually much better than if it plays when you scroll.

Hmm, do all of the browsers quit at the same time? Does it affect even Safari? What page are you looking at when this happens? There are some pages that are able to shoot down Safari, usually when they use some bad JScript or something similar... :-/

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thanks for letting me know that's normal - again first Mac and never have experienced it in Windows so it was a bit annoying. I can get used to it though.

As for the unexpected quitting problem, it seems like when it's not happening it's not happening on any of them. When it does start happening it affects all of them. Not simultaneously, but say Firefox quits on me and I try it again and it quits again. I'll open up Safari and it'll work for a little while and then it'll do it too. But again they'll all work fine for some time and out of nowhere they'll start doing it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My machine just installed some updates a day or so ago, and I must say that I honestly can't remember for sure but it's very possible that this didn't start happening until after it did those updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah only thing I can think of, is repairing permissions /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
I can't say that I've had that with any of my browsers.. that's very very strange.

R

repeater75

One recommendation: if you bought a RAM upgrade for your Mini from any dealer other than Apple, even if the specs match up on voltage and what not, that could be the cause of any applications crashing or system instability. You do have to exercise a bit more caution in buying RAM for Macs as they tend to be more "finicky" than PC's.

Also, there is a great site called Macintouch that has people sharing their experiences / issues with Apple software and the Mac OS. A current thread on the recent 10.3.8 update is here: http://macintouch.com/panreader54.html#feb17 and you may well wish to go there and add your experiences to that listing and see if anyone else who has had a similar issue can offer any insights as to how you might fix it.

Good luck with your browser problem and congrats on your new Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.