screen/graphic card trouble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.4.11
I think my graphics card has gone bad because i have this strip down the side of my screen that wont go away no matter what i do & the screen flickers from time 2 time. i attached a picture of what the screen looks like. so does anyone know how/where i can get it fixed or an estimate about how much it would cost?

PC220063.JPG

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming that your machine is no longer under warranty.... and since you didn't mention what model you have???

Check repair prices here.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
How do you know it is the graphics card...
it could very well be the screen itself...

OP
chibivamp
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.4.11
i asked some of my teachers that work with macs & they thought it was the graphics card. either way its gonna cost an arm & leg probably. sorry i thought i mentioned what it was. its an iMac. its about 3 years old to.

R3d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8 Ghz PowerPC G4 (Gigadesing Processor), 1.75GB SDRAM, Pioneer DVD, XFX Nvidia 6200 256mb
It looks like artifacts. Artifacts is leftover pixel information that isn't refreshing (in a nutshell). I really doubt that is from the monitor itself. Most likely it is the video card overheating or failing in some way... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You do not state what model machine you are using in your avatar, however if it is a desktop, open her up and make sure the graphics card is seated firmly, and if so is the fan unit, if installed, starting up on bootup as they do fail and fry the cards.

Next pop in Apple Hardware Test and let it run the full program. Graphics, pixels etc are included in the final test.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.