Mack book memory

Reaction score
I read an article that says the Mac Book (Aluminum) 13.3 inch screen can be upgraded to 6gb of memory. I just got off the phone with Apple and the sales rep. said that the Mac Book can only support up to 4gb's of memory. I told her about the article and she denied that the Mac Book could support more then 4gb's of memory. What gives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I think it officially supports 4GB - I know that the MBP unofficially supports more RAM but I'm not so sure about the MB.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Officially it is 4GB. But, there are many reviews reporting that the unibody Macbook can indeed support 6GB. I have seen at least a couple of reputable Mac only hardware sites selling 6GB kits including OWC. They seem to stay pretty much on top of things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 3,1. 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo 6GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM Apex 120 GB SSD
Ramjet also sells 6gb ram sets, I personally just put one in yesterday for my mbp 3, 1. I have also seen mbps running 8gb of ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
They do "support" more ram, what would stop you from putting in memory sticks with higher capacity right? But officially, it's only 4 since there should be some issues with recognition and maybe even performance.

The thing is, when you put in 6gigs, it will never be evenly distributed among the two sockets, not ideal.

It's strange that there is always talk of the six gig that are unofficially supported, but not 8 as Jordan mentioned, there are probably some hardware issues. Even though you might have physical 8gig, your computer wouldn't use it all

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.