Network print jobs "On hold" ..why?

Reaction score
Hi everyone

The network here is 1 PC hooked up to a brother hl2070n printer and 1 other PC and 2 iMacs connected to the printer via a network.

Both PC's print fine with no problems. The iMacs used to print with no problems too, but since we have re-formatted the PC which is connected to the printer, the iMacs constantly say "On Hold (Authentication Required)" when trying to print.

Every print job sent to the printer automatically goes onto this hold, and I have to click "Resume" and then enter the username and password of the Administrator on the printer-connected PC. Then the job finally prints. The Macs are public computers and we do not want anyone to have to enter a password to print from them.

I have tried
-deleting the printers and re-adding them to the Macs.
-removing keychains that were there for "login"
-clicking "remember password" when the login box comes up
-adding the printer by IP address rather than finding it under Windows in the add printer options.

I am at a total loss here - can anyone provide any tips?

Thanks so much!

Joshua

Reaction score
Not much help..

I'm looking for the same answer and these forums aren't much help, unfortunately.

Reaction score
Solved

Open Print Queue, select the job, click on the little "refresh" doohicky to the right of the "X" (delete), enter the user id and password and click OK.

I know it's not a permanent solution, but it works.

Reaction score
Are you using the pc as a print server. Its a network printer just connect it to the network.

Reaction score
It's a Laserjet USB printer (no ethernet or wireless) connected to my business computer (a PC), and shared in Windows. I use my Mac Mini for my personal stuff, and I want to be able to make this work consistently. I'm a computer technician and I want to be able to set this up properly for my customers if called upon to do so. What I HAVE discovered is that the Mac is remembering an old user id and password that was on the PC when it was part of a domain. It no longer is on the domain, but the Mac isn't remembering the new user and password even though I tell it to do so. I'm running Mountain Lion.

Reaction score
Some confusion as your post said it was a 2070n. Thats a network printer with an ethernet port.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.